47

"What, the gem?" Bruce asked in confusion.

"It's the Mind Stone. It's one of the six Infinity Stones, the greatest power in the universe, unparalleled in its destructive capabilities-" Thor began, and Percy cut him off, getting a horrible feeling in his stomach as he thought of the discussion he'd overheard three years prior on Thanos' ship, and the tortures he'd endured so Thanos could get information he knew full well Percy didn't have. He put a hand to the small of his back, where Thanos had stabbed repeatedly when he'd figured out it hurt Percy the most, asking him again and again where the infinity stones were.

"Please, don't tell me you mean the Infinity Stones, created along with the big bang, tied to six different aspects of the universe," Percy recounted. "Those are myths, like, actual myths; they're made up!"

"So are we, Perseus, yet we exist," Thor looked at him curiously. "How did you know about them?"

Percy shook his head. "I don't want to talk about it. All I know is that they're incredibly dangerous, and wielding them can bring horrible consequences."

"So then why would you bring it-" Steve tried to ask, but Thor answered before he could finish.

"Because Stark is right," Thor replied.

"Oh, it's definitely the end times," Bruce shuddered, and, despite himself, the corners of Percy's mouth twitched.

"The Avengers cannot defeat Ultron."

"Not alone," Vision added.

"Why does your 'vision' sound like JARVIS?" Steve asked, looking at Tony and Bruce.

"We- we reconfigured JARVIS' matrix..." Tony explained, and Percy facepalmed. "To create something new."

"I think I've had my fill of new."

"Tony, you know full well what happened last time you did something like this," Percy said, this time trying to keep his cool. Anger would get them nowhere. "Why would you try again?"

"You think I'm a child of Ultron," the body looked between the immortal and the super-soldier.

"You're not?" Steve asked.

"I am not Ultron," it denied. "I'm not JARVIS, I am... I am."

Wanda stepped forward. "I looked in your head and saw annihilation."

"Look again."

"Yeah," Clint said. "Her seal of approval means jack to me."

"Their powers, the horrors in our heads, Ultron himself, they all came from the Mind Stone," Thor explained, "and they're nothing compared to what it can unleash. But with it on our side..."

"How do we know it's on our side?" Percy gripped Riptide tighter, the weight in his hand keeping him grounded.

"Is it? Are you?" Steve turned to it. "On our side?"

"I don't think it's that simple," it said.

"Well, it better get simple real soon," Clint stepped forward, but Percy held out a hand to stop him.

"Simplify it," he said calmly.

Vision paused. "I am on the side of life. Ultron is not; he will end it all."

"What's he waiting for?" Tony asked.

"You."

"Where?"

"Sokovia," Clint said, and Percy lowered his hand, letting him speak without him in the way. "He's got Nat there, too."

"If we're wrong about you, if you're the monster that Ultron made you to be..." Bruce threatened.