Seven

Keith walked into the observation deck to see Lance sitting in front of the window, looking out into space. 

"I thought you said you had work to do," He said, taking a seat next to him. 

"I do, I'm waiting for an email back," Lance sighed, running a hand through his hair. 

"Are you ok? You looked pretty stressed when Zeno asked what day it was," Keith asked, awkwardness filling the air. 

"I'm fine, and why do you care? I thought you hated me now," Lance's gaze locked onto a distant star. The silence of space always unnerved Keith. While he was used to the silence when living alone, the silence while out in space was completely different. There was no wind, no birds, no cars driving along the dirt road, it was completely and utterly quiet. 

"I never hated you, I was just confused. I still am. I don't like being lied to," Keith grumbled. 

"You have to understand that I didn't want to lie to you. My job is really important, I have codes that I have to follow otherwise I'll get in a lot of trouble. It's like Zeno said, I trust you guys wholeheartedly, but there was nothing I could do," Lance tried to explain, but he was getting frustrated with trying to put it into words. 

"I get it. I don't like it, but I understand. And I trust you too," Keith's voice was soft, clearly uncomfortable. Lance turned to him, a smile on his face that lifted the mood of the room. Keith's face flushed as he cleared his throat. 

"Can you tell me more about your time as an agent? You know, without telling me anything confidential?" Keith asked. Lance thought for a minute, his agent personality fading away into regular old Lance. 

"Once I became a full agent I was already a Rank 5. I jumped to Rank 9 my first month as an agent, then sat there for 5 years before Director Raven bumped me to Rank 10. People hated that he gave a 16-year-old the General spot, but once I started giving out mission orders people shut up and accepted my rank," Lance smiled. 

"What are the different Ranks? You said 7 was for like, research or something," Keith questioned. 

"Rank 1 is general officers, the newbies that patrol the universe and call in anything they see. Rank 2 is for the paper pushers, they file the different missions and direct the call center. Rank 3 involves the Containment unit, they're in charge of the multiple jail and prison bases across the universe. Rank 4 is for the Off World acceptance team, they take forms and either accept or deny access to the 4 planets. Rank 5 is for the explorers, but with most of the universe being documented, they act as a check-in for different planets, asking if there's anything wrong. Rank 6 holds base level treaties, or they talk with different planets when there's a problem, 7 is our tech department, they create and ship out different devices for the agents. Rank 8 is for our scientists, they handle the science behind everything, working hand in hand with Rank 7s. Rank 9 is for mission agents. There are 2 levels to Rank 9's, the slower missions, and the dangerous ones that no one wants to do, I was part of the latter group. Then you know about Rank 10s," Lance explained, counting on his fingers. Keith listened along, trying his best to pay attention. 

"Zeno said you and the director person were close," Keith started, worried that by talking about Raven Lance might back off. 

"Yeah, he acted like the father I never had, though, he was pissed when you punched him," Lance smiled, looking over to Keith who furrowed his eyebrows. 

"I punched him?" Keith asked. 

"Yeah, Iverson was considering making you an agent, forcing you with me so I could train you. But once you punched him in front of the whole staff, he couldn't shrug it off like he usually would," Lance shrugged as the realization hit Keith.