Sixteen

Lance and Keith loaded up their lions before making their way to Lance's childhood home. It was off base, but only a block away. 

The house itself looked small and run down, but the collected mess outside gave off the impression of life and memories. Lance paused in front of the house, looking at it with a blank face. Keith figured he was forcing the blank look, and instead was suppressing a bunch of feelings from showing. 

They walked up to the door. Keith noticed the abundant knife marks along the doorframe but decided to shake off his dread. Lance took a deep breath as his hand reached for the doorknob. 

Lance jumped backward, pushing Keith to the side as 3 knives were thrown through the barely open door. 

"Good throw, Marco," Lance congratulated with an easygoing smile on his face. 

"Obviously not, I missed," A voice muttered from inside the house. They sounded younger than Lance and held a tone that Keith most related to a teen brooding. Still, the knives that stuck up from the grass a few feet from him set his heart pounding painfully in his chest. 

"Well try not to kill our company, will ya?" Lance asked, pushing the door open farther and walking inside. Keith realized the reason Lance wanted him here was to act as a barrier between all the agents. No one acted out when they had guests over. 

"Oh! Keith!" Ms. McClain exclaimed, rushing to pull the boy into another hug. A woman jumped at Lance. He was ready for her as he quickly caught her and pulled her into a hug. 

"Lance!" She yelled happily, giggling as Lance spun her around a few times. 

"Rachel! It's good to see you too!" Lance let go of her, holding her at arm's length so he could get a good look. They looked exactly the same and Keith wondered if they were twins. 

"Did Lancy finally bring a boy home?" An older woman walked into the room. She had a Garrison uniform on, her glasses pushed high on her face. There was a clear resemblance between the whole family, even Marco. Keith didn't understand how that was possible considering they were supposed to not be related by blood. 

"Hi, I'm Keith," Keith held out his hand for Veronica to shake. She gave him a once over, a clear mischievous glint on her face, before taking Keith's hand. 

"So, what has Lancy said about us?" She asked, leaning in a little closer like they were sharing a secret. 

"Only that all of you are psycho," Lance yelled from where he was being smothered by his mom. 

"If you don't like us that much why did you come back?" Marco glared from where he was sitting on a kitchen stool, a bunch of throwing daggers in front of him as he carefully polished the blade of one. 

"Don't be like that. In case you haven't noticed my plate's been kinda full," Lance frowned. 

"You could have stopped by yesterday! You're not the only one that lost a brother!" Marco shot to his feet, pointing the dagger in his hand at Lance. 

"Boys, knock it off," Ms. McClain sent a glare to each of them that send shivers down Keith's spine. He wondered what rank of agent she was, but then decided he didn't want to know. "Mijo, help me in the kitchen," Ms. McClain ordered. 

"Mama, we can't stay that long, I have a meeting in 2 hours and we still need to fly to Hifosa," Lance furrowed his brow. 

"I'm making something for your trip, tell your boyfriend he can help," Ms. McClain smiled. Keith's face flushed red. 

"He's not my boyfriend yet, mama," Lance shook his head with a smile, but Keith's mind caught on the "yet" he threw in there. The girls laughed at Keith's face as he followed Lance to the kitchen.