VI

"Cara, you don't have to do that," said Carlotta as soon as she saw me rinsing off my dishes.

"I feel bad leaving you to clean up after me."

"It's my job. Don Martelli pays me and his other workers very well to clean up after everyone." She assured me.

"Do you like working for him?"

"Of course. He can be rough around the edges– he has to be with the lifestyle he leads– but he's always been appreciative of my cooking. There is so much good in him. He's just hid it for so long after taking the position from his father."

"You worked for his father too? What was he like?"

"I'm sorry. I can't tell you more. It's not my place to share and Don Martelli doesn't like to talk about his father."

"I understand," I said when what I really meant was, "Tell me everything! He doesn't have to know!"

I refrained from shaking the information out of Carlotta. With Luciano far from ever opening up to me, she was my only way to learn more about his life prior to our wedding day. Her regard for Luciano's privacy frustrated me, though I had to respect it.

I let Carlotta take over my dishes. After all, I needed to get ready for poker night.

Once I entered my room, I made my way over to the window. Cars had already begun coming up the driveway to the mansion.

If Luciano thought I would stay locked up like a good girl while he played with the boys, he was in for a shock. Being my husband didn't give him the right to boss me around. I would do whatever and go wherever I pleased. Maybe I wanted to play with the boys too.

Opening my closet door revealed the maids had found places for all my new items. Skipping past the cashmere sweaters and evening gowns I had purchased for the hell of it, I went straight to the lingerie. Folded neatly in the middle of the drawer was the perfect black lace teddy.

Standing in front of the full length mirror in my teddy, I radiated confidence and sexiness. The neckline dipped down to nearly my belly button, showing off a generous amount of cleavage, and a small ribbon tied in a bow pulled the lace tight against my waist. It was sexy, but not as revealing as the other sets Luciano picked out for me.

If Luciano wanted to treat me like a plaything, then that's what he would get.

I covered my lingerie by tucking a white blouse into a pleather skirt. Once I had on the tallest pair of black fuck me heels I could find, I looked ready to empty some pockets.

My heels clicked across the tiled floors in the hallways leading up to the billiards room. When I stepped inside, all eyes turned to me. The pool table from earlier was exchanged for a poker table. Six men in suits, including my husband, sat behind several stacks of poker chips. Their conversation in Italian ceased at my entrance.

I arrived just in time. The cards hadn't been dealt yet. In my most seductive voice, I asked, "Can I join?"

My eyes skimmed past the line of reactions to focus on the one I cared about. A fire burned within Luciano's dark hazel irises. While most of the heat came from his fury, I could detect a hint of desire as well from the dilation of his pupils.

"No. Go back upstairs, Katerina," Luciano ordered. I briefly wondered what his men would think about Luciano's treatment towards me. Would they view him any differently if they knew his wife wouldn't sleep in the same bedroom with him.

"Come on, Boss. Let her play," one of the men spoke up. "We'd love to get to know your wife better."

Luciano directed a stony gaze at the man. Despite his assertion of power, the man did not back down. Showing any sign of weakness could ruin his credibility. He met Luciano's stare with a rigid posture and shaky hands hid under the table.