XXVI

I woke to the mattress dipping towards the right side of the bed. The room was bright with natural daylight, causing me to blink sleep from my eyes. I yawned as my body tipped with the weight that brought down the other side of the mattress. Last night was exhausting. I slept like the dead despite thinking I would never rest with my worry for Luciano.

When my vision cleared enough for me to see Luc sitting on the bed, I sprang awake. My muscles protested the abrupt movement after I had been still for so long. My mind raced, imagining the men patching up Luciano's wounds in the infirmary the previous night.

"You're okay."

Luc turned towards me from his position on the edge of the bed. The action of twisting his body even slightly caused him to grimace. When he found stillness again, his signature smirk appeared through his pain. "Did you really doubt me? I'm Luciano Martelli. A little bullet can't stop me."

I rolled my eyes. "Being Don does not make you invincible."

"No, but I'm as close to it as possible."

"If anything, it only puts you in more situations in which you are more likely to be hurt." I crossed my arms, but he didn't argue with me. If he wasn't injured, he might've shrugged at me. "How did you even get in here? No one should've let you move around the house after what happened to you last night."

"No one let me do anything. I'm the boss, remember?"

"As if I could ever forget." I deadpanned.

Luc then held out his hand. After a moment of hesitation, I placed mine in his. I would've jumped on him as soon as I saw him if I hadn't been worried about hurting him. The contact provided an important reminder to me. His skin was warm and his grip still strong, yet comforting. He was alive.

"I'm sorry. I can't promise my life won't be in danger in the future. It's part of the title. But I'm good for now."

"Good for now? How can that be enough for you? It's not for me. I was really scared last night." My voice broke into a whimper. "I could've lost you."

"I know." Sincere guilt crept into his expression. He didn't want his position in this business to affect me, but there was nothing he could do to change it. My gaze fell to our hands. It didn't help to make him feel worse about the situation.

"It will be alright." I nodded my head in the direction of the pillows at the top end of the bed. "You can rest in here with me now."

"No."

"What do you mean?"

"I have to go back to my office."

"You can't be serious." I pulled my hand back and analyzed the way he couldn't meet my eyes. Luc rarely joked around. This time wasn't an exception. "You're not in a condition to be working right now."

"I can manage." When I shook my head, he reached for my arm. His face scrunched in pain once again, proving my point that he needed a break. "Katerina, you don't need to worry so much anymore. My office in this house is safe and I won't be moving around much at my desk."

I rolled my eyes in response. Sitting wouldn't make his work any painless. Just on the edge of the bed it looked strenuous for him to sit upright.

"Someone needs to clean up the mess of last night."

"Why can't Armando take care of it? He should be able to step in for you when you're injured."

"This is important, Katerina."

"So is your health." He wouldn't admit it, but I wasn't wrong. If I had to beg him to set work aside, I would. The bullet may not have taken him out last night, but he might do its job by not looking after himself. "Please, lay here with me for just a little while. Work can wait for just another hour or two."