Chapter 8: Lara's Warning

After a while, Sally arrived with a bunch of medical supplies and inspected Martha. "She's alright. She's just exhausted that's all.", Sally said. Jim and Nick looked at her nervously, "This is our fault, if we only listened to her in the first place, then none of this would've happened.", Jim sighed and sat down beside Martha. Dr. Maxwell arrived, "What is it, what happened to her?", Dr. Maxwell nervously asked. I entered the room while Lee stayed behind me, "Is she alright?", I asked. "Oh she's fine, just needs a bit more rest that's all.", Sally replied. We all sighed, then I received a phone call, it was Dr. Yang! She and Harry are still in Beijing. "Dr. Maxwell, it seems we'll be staying here a bit longer. Something terrible happened back at the airport.", she said. "What is it?", I asked. "Well, a passenger plane took off earlier when we heard a loud screeching noise from above us. Then this...blizzard came out of nowhere and afterward, the entire runway was engulfed in a thick cloud of mist. We heard the plane depart when they suddenly announced to cancel all flights due to 'bad weather conditions.' Then all of a sudden, something grabbed the plane as it ascended. Then it, whatever IT is, dropped the plane into the far side of the runway and exploded. No survivors were reported after the crash, then hours later, the blizzard ceased, giving us a view of the runway. Huge scratch marks were all over it while ice engulfed the entire airport. We saw the plane's smoldering ruins as smoke began to rise from the crash site. We're on our way to the 'Institute's headquarters in Shandong. We'll try to get back as soon as flights are resumed.", she said. "Alright, call me as soon as you get there.", I reminded. "Affirmative.", Dr. Yang replied then the line cut off. ''They must be close to H.Q. by now'', I thought.
Then Martha woke up and mumbled, "Basement...monster...Dr. Whitney and Gina.", she muttered. Then she stood up and pointed out the window. "I...s-saw her.", she stuttered while staring outside. The others stared in bewilderment, "Martha, what are you talking about?", I asked. She shivered and shook her head, "What happened?", she asked as she scratched her head. "Is something wrong?", Dr. Maxwell asked. "Nope, everything's al...right...I...guess.", she paused. We were all shocked, she was muttering a while ago then it seems like she forgot about what happened. "Something's not right.", I said to myself. Then I just noticed the door, it was wide open. I was going to close it when I heard Dr. Whitney and Gina's conversation. It seems like she's mad, I can hear her yelling at someone so I decided to go over to Gina's room and check if she's alright. As I got closer, she screamed and rammed the door. I was worried about her so I knocked and asked her what was going on. "Everything's fine.", she replied coldly. "Get out!", she yelled. So I returned to check in on Martha. She lied down on the bed and sighed, "Where is she...where's Dr. Whitney?", she nervously asked. We all looked at each other in shock, "What exactly happened downstairs?", I asked.

"I don't remember", Martha replied, "But I know Dr. Whitney was involved...and I was in the...th-the basement.", she continued. "Can you try to remember anything? Please tell us.", I pleaded. But the more she tried to recall what happened, the more she forgot about it. We knew she needed personal space so we bid goodbye and left. Jim and Nick watched over Martha as she slept peacefully. After a while Nick got hungry, "Really Nick?", Jim groaned. "What?", Nick replied. Jim chuckled as he went to the bathroom. Nick turned on the T.V. and was shocked by what he saw. "Jim, come here!", he yelled. Jim immediately rushed towards Nick, Martha woke up. "What's going on?", she wearily asked. "Uh...N-nothing, go back to sleep Martha.", Jim told her. Martha rolled her eyes and lied down. Nick was staring at the screen, it shows a news report about an airport in Honolulu, which was attacked by a so-called 'giant bird-like creature.' "Earlier this evening, a massive avian creature appeared in the skies over Honolulu Airport.", the reporter stated, "It attacked civilians, and was reported to spread powerful blizzards wherever it goes. Witnesses saw it take down a departing plane, causing the deaths of hundreds in the incident. Here's our eyewitness, Miya Hendrickson, reporting live on BBC News. Miya?", the reporter continued as she asked Miya about what happened.

Miya: Well, I was at the waiting area when this strange...screeching noise kinda like...' shook' the entire building and there was this sudden cold front. It was freezing out there, then hail and ice started to drop from the sky.
Reporter: Oh really?
Miya: Yes, then before you knew it, there was this huge, dark patch of clouds spread right above us. Then it was just a few minutes later when this powerful blizzard, came out of nowhere.
Reporter: Were there any people outside?
Miya: I can't remember, maybe? I mean, I think there was this flight to Miami, set to depart the same time the storm appeared.
The reporter nods.
Miya: Then there was this roar from above, everyone was screaming like crazy. They looked at the runway that was hit by one of those icy beams, like, from one of those sci-fi films, ya know.
Reporter: Mhm
Miya: We *shudders* couldn't see it well, but a plane was like...torn apart midair. It was horrible! Everyone like...took cover. As the entire runway was covered in smoke and ice. Then...we saw IT.
Reporter: What?
Miya: This huge...eye was like staring at us for a while. Everyone backs off and there was chaos everywhere, while this huge 'bird' arched its back and aimed at the glass. It flapped its wings and huge shards of ice broke the huge glass window. Security arrived to handle the beast but it killed them all. It snacked on a few people on the ATC towers and left as soon as it arrived.
Reporter: My, oh my this is very tragic uh...(whispers) What's your name again?
Miya: It's Miya. *chuckles*
Reporter: Right. The government orders to cancel all flights to and from Hawaii for the week to avoid any more disasters like this. Thanks for watching, this is Sarah Andrews, signing off.
Then Nick turned off the television.

"What did you do that for?!", Jim yelled. Nick remained silent, while Martha moved. "Should we notify Dr. Maxwell about this?", Nick asked. Jim nodded, then they headed towards the door. Jim stopped, "Whoa...wait, who's gonna stay with Martha?", he asked. Nick replied, "Let her be, we'll be gone for a few minutes anyway. You know, maybe Lee can stay with her while we're away." Jim nodded as they knocked on Lee's room. "Sorry, not now, I'm too busy!", Lee replied.
"Well, if you're free can you check on her...like every thirty minutes?", Jim pleaded. "Fine.", Lee replied. "Okay, thank you so much!", Jim said as he and Nick left.
They both dashed towards the Operations Center to warn Dr. Maxwell, then they bumped into Dr. Whitney along the way. "Ugh, what are you doing?!", she retorted. They slowly back off. "Kids nowadays.", she grumbled as she left. "Huh, I guess that's why Martha hates her so much. She's so hot-headed.", Nick said. Jim nods in agreement. As they arrived at the Operations Center, Dr. Maxwell and the others were having a meeting. Sally noticed the two were about to enter and stopped them. "Sorry boys, but Dr. Maxwell is busy right now.", she said. "Can we talk to him, just for a minute?", Jim pleaded. "What's the matter?", Sally asked. "Well, there's news about Xyleth attacking this airport in Hawaii or something.", Nick replied. "Really?!", Sally was surprised, "I must tell him right away! Are there more details or something? Something useful! Anyone?", she asked frantically. "Well, the government is canceling all flights to and from the United States, I guess that's all.", Jim said. "Thank you so much!", Sally replied, "You better eat, dinner is served.", she continued as she entered the room.
Nick rushed downstairs as Jim followed him behind.

Meanwhile back in room 5025, Martha was slightly awakened by the sound of uproaring thunder as the rain pattered outside her window. She slowly got up and walked around her bed. Then suddenly, a lightning bolt struck the trees nearby, which was consequently set ablaze. Martha screamed, she ran towards the bathroom door, but she couldn't open it for some reason. Then suddenly, the power went out! She ran back to her bed and in a few seconds, the emergency lights turned on. She sighed in relief, "Where's Nick and Jim?", she asked as she looked around, they weren't there. She hid under the covers as she heard someone knock on her door. Martha approached and checked the peephole if anyone was there but the hallway was dimly lit by the emergency lights. She saw no one standing nearby. "It's awfully quiet.", she said to herself, "Maybe everyone's downstairs.", she continued as she lied down. Then she glanced, she thought she saw a little girl dash through the window. "That's...weird.", she said. "Nick, you can come out now!", she teased. But no one replied nor came out. "This is getting creepy.", she whispered. "It's getting cold, I better turn off the air condition...wait! Oh right, there's no power.", she mumbled. Then the leaves rustled near her window, she heard footsteps outside. Martha then realized that their room is on the 5th floor of the building! She was shivering, the moist air entered the room through the open window on Nick's side of the room. As Martha approached it, she heard the glass shatter, someone was breaking into their room!

Martha suddenly shivered in fear, she ran back to her bed and hid under the sheets. The footsteps drew nearer. The figure circled the room and stopped to get a closer look at things. Martha peeked and saw a young girl, wearing a rain-soaked cloak, staring at the screen. She gasped for air, which the young girl heard. Martha hid until the figure began closing in on her. Martha screamed for help as the girl lifted the sheets. But as she does so, the girl took off her rain-drenched coat and dropped it on the floor. As Martha got a closer look at the culprit, she knew exactly who it was.
"L...Lara?!", she gasped. Lara looked at her with complete curiosity. "What are you doing here?!", Martha frantically asked. However, Lara stood there, staring at her. "Why are you here?!", Martha asked again. Lara retreated and stood up, "You and your friends are in grave danger, Martha Diaz.", Lara communicated telepathically, "You must warn them! The "Monster of the North Wind" has escaped, she is bringing with her eternal winter if she isn't stopped. Our deity barely had a chance against her, you must act quickly, but be warned! There is a traitor in your midst, and they won't stop until they get what they want.", she continued. 

"But, we don't have the power to defeat Xyleth! She might be too powerful, please, choose someone else.", Martha pleaded. "I'm afraid I can't do that, it's what the prophecy has spoken of. You don't have to defeat Xyleth, you just have to imprison her.", Lara suggested. "But how?", Martha asked. "You must travel up north, in the frozen wastelands, there you'll find a temple...a temple that our tribe built for Xyleth millennia ago. Inside it is a massive ruby, used to seal her in ice, but recently, someone stole the priceless gem, aiding in Xyleth's escape. You must get it back and return it to her shrine before it's too late!", Lara advised. Martha nodded, "I understand, but where do I find this...ruby?", she asked. "Don't worry, I sense it's nearby, locked up in a hidden chamber.", Lara replied. 

Then there was the sound of footsteps outside. Lara glanced at Martha one last time, "Time is of the essence Martha, you have to stop Xyleth as soon as possible, More monsters are on the verge of awakening.", Lara remarked as Martha felt like her mind was blurry. As she slowly shut her eyes, she suddenly woke up! "It was a dream.", she said to herself, as Nick and Jim are comforting her. "Are you alright?", Jim asked. "Why would you ask that?", Martha said. "Well, Lee checked in on you a while ago, and he saw you running around...talking to someone.", Jim said.

Martha was shocked. "Oh really?", she replied. "Yeah, and it seems like you were hiding from someone.", Nick continued. Martha sighed, "I know you guys won't believe this but I think... we're being warned.", she said. "Warned?", Jim looked at her in confusion, "What do you mean?", he continued. "You see, I saw her enter through the window, she was staring at our stuff, I seriously thought she's a thief or something.", Martha answered. "Who was it?", Nick asked. "It's...Lara and she knows something's not right about this facility, she didn't tell me what but she told me that we must seal Xyleth somewhere in a shrine up north...frozen.", she continued. "And this was all a dream?", Jim asked.
Martha nodded.
"Then we have no time to lose.", Nick said, "We better warn the doctors about this right away.", he continued as he was about to exit the room. "Wait, don't!", Martha stopped him, "If Gina and Dr. Whitney find out what we're up to, they'll make sure we won't be able to stop Xyleth. She wants to do something to that creature, I don't know what but I heard her and Gina conspiring downstairs. They're keeping something in the basement,  whatever that thing is, the Institute doesn't want us to know about it.", Martha continued. "So what are we gonna do now?", Jim asked. "We only notify Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Garrett, Dr. Hamilton, and Dr. Collins about the situation. I bet they'll know what to do. You know better than to trust that...that Dr. Whitney!", Martha answered as she clenched her fists. "Come on, we have to hurry downstairs if we're going to meet up with them, I'm pretty sure they're at the Operations Center.", she ordered, "Let's hurry before...", Martha opened the door and bumped into Dr. Whitney, who was waiting outside the entire time!