Chapter 9: Xyleth's return

Dr. Whitney stared at Martha with a stern look on her face. "Hurry before what?", she asked. "Um...It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!", Martha yelled. Jim and Nick gasped in horror. "Very well then...", Dr. Whitney said. "You may proceed to the Operations Center, just...be careful where you step okay?", she warned. "Hmph", Martha replied as she elbows Dr. Whitney, making her groan in pain as she fell. Then Martha zoomed past her. 
Nick and Jim assisted Dr. Whitney, "We apologize, she's not like this at all. We'll try to make sure she won't get into any more trouble.", Jim said. "Hmph, you better!", Dr. Whitney retorted as she stood up and walked towards Gina's room. As soon as she disappeared from Jim's view, they both sighed in relief. "Good thing she took that easily, Martha can be pretty...rebellious", Jim said. "We better catch up to her, she might get in trouble again.", Nick suggested. 

Suddenly, an alarm broke out. Everyone rushed out of the hallways in a panicked state, this could only mean one thing..." Xyleth has returned!!!", Jim said to himself. 

Jim and Nick followed everyone to the Operations Center. Meanwhile, Martha returned to the cafeteria, she approached an empty table, and sat down. "You okay young lady?", someone asked. Martha turned around and found a middle-aged man in a chef's outfit. "Oh, um...yeah.", Martha replied. She sighed and walked toward the man. "Can I order some waffles please?" The man nodded and took a handful out of the oven. "Here you go miss...", "Martha! It's Martha.", she replied. "Alright, then Martha...", the man nodded, he placed a plate full of waffles on Martha's table and sat down. "Looks like something's troubling you, Martha, wanna talk about it?" The man asked. Martha chuckled, "I don't even know your name.", she said. "Oh, right!", the man replied. He cleared his throat and took a deep breath, "The name's Pietro Jean-Claude, my friends call me 'Chef'.", the man said. "It's nice to meet you, Chef, so here's the thing...", Martha smiled, she finally made a new friend.

~

Meanwhile back in the Operations Center, GPS systems pick up movement from Xyleth. Dr. Collins was able to track Xyleth using a tracking chip that was injected into the beast during its awakening in Svalbard. The thing was moving faster than a jet, and it was flying over the southern coast of Fiji at alarming speeds! "How did it get there?!", Nick asked. "I have no idea.", I replied. "It's flying around the islands...as if it were looking for something.", Dr. Maxwell suggested. Xyleth stopped and landed atop a small uninhabited island, then it lets out a mighty screech that shook the ground beneath it. Suddenly, a small squadron of drones, piloted by Dr. Garrett, arrived at the scene and monitored the giant bird.

Suddenly, a huge blizzard appeared out of nowhere and consumed the archipelago, enveloping it in ice and snow. After the snowstorm cleared, a strange blue sigil appeared on one of the islets. The drones inched closer to Xyleth and from the cameras, we could see her "smile" at one point. Then, she roars triumphantly, flapping her wings whilst emitting gale-force winds that cover the entire island in a thick cloud of icy mist. 

More than half of the drones were knocked offline by Xyleth's wind blasts. However, some narrowly escaped the blast and hovered around the giant bird's head. As the drones rotated above Xyleth, we saw what seems to be a giant sparkling ruby on its forehead. "Dr. Maxwell, can you move closer?", I pleaded. Dr. Maxwell nodded and steered the drones closer to the jewel. 
As we got a closer look, Xyleth suddenly lifts its head and roared after one of the drones crashed on the ruby. "It's hurt!", Nick blurted out. Then, I saw Gina gasp, she walked towards her aunt and whispered into her ear. Dr. Whitney stood up and left the Operations Center. "Hey, Dr. Whitney!", I called out, however, she had already left the room. I knew something was up, so I wanted to learn more about her goal. "What does she want, and where are they going?", many questions rushed to my head. I went after Dr. Whitney however, I was stopped by Dr. Tim Murphy and his wife Leyla, "Going somewhere?", Dr. Murphy asked. "Oh, um...I just...need a cup of coffee!", I hastily explained. I was lying, however, the couple was onto me, I could see it in their eyes. "Dr. Hamilton, we need to know how to defeat this thing, it has something to do with the mass disappearance of villagers back in 1995. We have to find a way to stop it!", Leyla replied. Tim was anxious, "Define 'defeat'.", Tim said. There was something off about him. "Perhaps he's fond of Xyleth, he was pretty mesmerized when he saw the giant bird emerge from her glacier in Svalbard.", I said to myself. Suddenly, I was snapped back to reality, I looked around for Gina and Dr. Whitney. "Dang it!", I yelled. "Anyways, Tim and I need to go.", Leyla said, "It looks like our visitors have arrived.", she continued. Then, they left the room in an instant. I sighed and returned to my seat. 

~

Meanwhile back at the cafeteria, things between Chef and Martha have gone pretty well, all things considered. 

Martha burst out laughing. "Okay, so lemme get this straight...", Martha paused as she cleared her throat, "You used to work for the richest person in the world?!", she asked. "Well, only for a few years. You see, Minx is a very stern person. But despite her dark past, she still helps those in need. She even hosted charity events every once in a while.", Chef explained. "Minx?", Martha asked, "I know I heard that name before...but where???", Martha wondered. Suddenly, Chef's phone started vibrating. He stood up and answered it immediately. "Yes, what is it, Tim?", Chef asked, "Wait...THEY'RE HERE?!", he continued. He hung up and stuffed the phone in his pocket. 
Martha turned around and noticed that Chef was in a hurry, "Where are you going?", Martha asked. "Oh! Some of my old friends came to see me.", Chef explained, "We're meeting them at the lobby.", he continued. "Oh...okay.", Martha replied. "Let's talk later okay?", Chef asked. Martha nodded in reply as Chef left the cafeteria. 

As Chef's footsteps receded into the distance, Martha stood up and followed him. She left the cafeteria and proceeded towards the hallway. Running past the Genetics Lab, she entered the lobby and stopped abruptly at the sight of two people sitting in the waiting area. A woman wearing a blue shirt with white sleeves, a pink tank-top with diagonal lime-green stripes. A pearl necklace is worn around the lady's neck and she was holding a black safari hat. Beside her, a bearded man was wearing a black tuxedo, brown pants, and a red neckerchief. Then, Martha saw a couple of scientists talking to the visitors. The woman holding a black safari hat laughs heartily as she and the man with the black tuxedo embrace the two scientists. Then, a couple of figures entered the door, it was Chef! He was accompanied by a middle-aged man carrying a bunch of bags. As Chef drags a couple of suitcases into the lobby, the middle-aged man drops the bags onto a luggage cart and leaves. 

Martha squinted her eyes as she tries to take a closer look at the visitors. From her vantage point, she could see that the pair was holding visitor passes. Then, the woman holding a black safari hat took out her phone and took a selfie. "Okay, okay...I'm just gonna send this to Minx so that she has proof that we're already here.", the woman said. The others, including Chef, laughed heartily while Martha, watching from the distance is trying to decipher what they were saying. Suddenly, an alarm broke out! Martha screamed, then she fell, revealing herself to the visitors.
"Uhm...hehehe~", Martha laughed sheepishly. She looked up and smiles awkwardly at Chef who facepalms. Chef sighed and assisted Martha. "Here, let me help you.", Chef said. Eventually, Martha stood up and dusted off her clothes. Then, Chef looked at the two scientists, "Tim, Leyla, I would like you to meet Martha Diaz. She's one of the recruits for Dr. Maxwell's program. You know, the one where we recruit young people to help us in our research and stuff." Tim and Leyla nodded, "Uh-huh...", then the woman holding a black safari hat looked at Martha and smiled. "Wow, that's a nice shirt you got there. I'm Bethany Lauren Sky and this is my friend Arthur McCretin.", Bethany introduced as Arthur waved hello. "So, how did you two meet?", Arthur asked. "Oh...she was sulking in my cafeteria so I gave her a waffle, cheered her up, and talked to her about Minx.", Chef explained. "CHEF PIETRO JEAN-CLAUDE!", Leyla scolded, "Minx's existence is TOP-SECRET and shouldn't be revealed to the public!!!", she continued. Chef scratched his head, "Well what was I supposed to tell her? Besides, she was interested.", Chef replied. Tim and Leyla sighed, "Minx doesn't want to reveal herself in public after 'The Incident'.", Tim said. "Look, we've all been through a lot ever since we got these...powers!", Tim whispered. "I'm sorry.", Chef apologized, "I didn't mean to, I swear!", he continued. "Can we trust you?", Leyla asked Martha. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone about Minx.", Martha answered. "Besides, she seems like a cool guy, I would love to meet her one day.", she continued. "Good.", Leyla said. 
"Now, it's time for you guys to unpack. I know how tired you are from your trip and you want to rest, but we just need to give you two a quick tour of the main building, then you can resign in your quarters later today...okay?", Leyla continued. Arthur and Bethany sighed, "Ugh, Fine!", Bethany groaned. Tim and Leyla escort Bethany and Arthur into the Genetics Lab. However, before entering Leyla rushed towards Chef, "Please escort Martha back to the Operations Center Chef. All the recruits must stay there for debriefing.", Leyla ordered. Chef nodded and gestured for Martha to follow him as Leyla rejoins Tim, Bethany, and Arthur in the Genetics Lab.

~

Back in the Operations Center, everyone was horrified as Xyleth destroyed a military fleet sent to the area to attack her. She flapped her wings, creating powerful gales that knockdown incoming military aircraft. Everyone was ordered to retreat before the giant bird has the opportunity to decimate the entire army. As everyone left, Xyleth slowly raised her head. She turned towards the horizon and growled. "What is it doing?", Nick asked. "Dr. Garrett, amplify the sound waves. I feel like there's something we're missing here.", I ordered as Dr. Garrett nodded. Dr. Garrett did what I told him to and was stunned. "Dr. Hamilton, something's wrong.", Dr. Garrett replied. "What is it?", I asked as I approached him. "It seems like our titan is emitting low-frequency calls, sir.", Dr. Garrett replied. "Infrasound, but why?", I asked. Then, Xyleth flapped her wings, destroying the drone that was monitoring her. Dr. Garrett continued to track her via GPS, "It seems like she's headed east, sir.", Dr. Garrett replied. Suddenly, the door to the Operations Center burst open! Luckily it was the Murphys, who were giving a couple of guests a tour around the facility. "Here's the Operations Center, where we monitor stuff from seismic activity to kaiju.", Dr. Leyla explained as they sat down on a nearby bench. "Speaking of kaiju, right now we're currently tracking down a giant 'ice phoenix' named Xyleth. She's caused havoc around the world and we're trying to keep the damage she causes at a minimum.", Leyla explained. "Cool.", Arthur replied. "So this is what you've been doing these past few years.", Bethany said. Tim and Leyla nodded in reply. Suddenly, another door to the Operations Center opened, it was Dr. Whitney and her niece! The duo strutted towards their seats, hitting anyone who gets in their way. Eventually, they sat down. "Who are those two?", Arthur asked. "Ugh, that's Dr. Vanessa Whitney, she's a real bitch.", Tim replied as he glared at the duo. "While that brat sitting beside her is her shitty little niece, Gina.", Leyla continued. "Gina has been bossy ever since she got here.", Leyla added, "Yesterday, I heard that Gina threatened room service after they accidentally got her order mixed up.", she continued.  "Ooohhhh, that's harsh.", Arthur replied. "Yeah, she's way worse than Tanya.", Bethany added. Suddenly, armed guards entered the Operations Center, they were blocking all the doors. "That's suspicious...", Bethany whispered. "Is this part of the presentation?", Jim asked. "I don't think so.", Dr. Maxwell replied.

Suddenly, Dr. Whitney stood up and strode towards the center of the room. Everyone around her was whispering. "Something's wrong, we need to get out of here.", Leyla whispered. "There's the front door!", Tim pointed, "Leyla, take Bethany and Arthur out of here.", Tim ordered. "What about you?", Leyla asked. "I'll distract Dr. Whitney while you guys get to the exit as soon as possible.", Tim continued. "Wait!", Arthur retorted, "Take these...", Arthur said as he took out four walkie-talkies from his bag and handed it to his friends. "So that we remain in contact with each other.", Bethany said. Leyla chuckled, "Are you sure you're gonna be okay Tim?", she asked. "Of course honey.", Tim replied and kissed her on the cheek. "Okay...okay, can we save the affection for later? We gotta go now.", Bethany whispered. "Okay, follow me.", Leyla whispered as the trio made their way towards the front door, which is the only door that isn't guarded by mercenaries. 
"Good day everyone, I am Dr. Vanessa Whitney, and as you all know, the Institute has recruited several young operatives for Project: Youth, which is where we use people with ages ranging from 14 to 21 to assist us in our research and propel us into a better future!", Dr. Whitney explained. Some people applauded while others grew suspicious of her actions. "Dr. Maxwell, what's going on?", Jim asked. "I guess we're about to find out.", Dr. Maxwell replied. "For decades, our little project worked in the shadows to monitor the monsters that reside deep between the Earth's surface, and now that they've...reawakened, we need to put a stop to their destruction and fight back. That's why Dr. Matthew Maxwell created Project: Youth, to use the children's minds to control the monsters.", Dr. Whitney continued as everyone gasped and with a stern look, turned towards Dr. Maxwell. "Anything to say, Dr. Maxwell?", Dr. Whitney asked as she smirked maliciously. "YOU CAN'T DO THIS!", an operative shouted out from the crowd. "Yeah, there's no way we're gonna use these kids as a weapon against the kaiju.", another one protested. Before we knew it, people started complaining about Dr. Maxwell's actions and started attacking him. Dr. Whitney chuckled, "Close all the gates, destroy anyone who tries to escape.", she ordered. The mercenaries nodded as they spread out the building to capture anyone trying to get out. As the other operatives corner Dr. Maxwell and bring him to the center of the room, Jim managed to sneak past the crowd and left the Operations Center before lockdown begins.