14- The Struggle for Trost, Part 1

"We managed to lure most of the Titans to this distant corner of the town. But despite avoiding combat as much as possible, we lost a fifth of our men." A soldier told Pixis. The Commander and three other soldiers were walking on the Wall as they filled the Commander in on the current state of the mission. "We didn't lose them. The soldiers didn't just die on their own. I sent them to their deaths on my orders. This is a critical point in mankind's survival. If it means mankind will live on, I don't mind being called a butcher." Pixis replied.

Eren's fist crashed into the roof as Y/n and Mikasa jumped out of the way to avoid being crushed. Y/n did her best to shield Mikasa from the flying debris, however a random piece still managed to cut Mikasa's cheek. The two girls soon crashed into the side of a chimney with Y/n taking most of the impact.

"Shit!" Y/n winced in pain holding onto her lower back. "Y/n, are you alright?" Mikasa asked. "Yeah I'm fine but we gotta move. Seems like dumbass doesn't have control of his Titan anymore. At any moment, one of those fists might try to crush us again." Y/n said.

And just as she predicted, another one of Eren's fists came crashing into the spot where they're were standing, but luckily they jumped to avoid it. Y/n hopped onto a different roof using her 3DM gear while Mikasa used hers to grab onto the Titan's face looking him in the eye.

"Cut it out Ackerman! Get away from him!" Ian shouted. He was on the same roof as Y/n as the two of them watched Mikasa try to talk to Eren's Titan. "Eren, don't you recognize me? I'm Mikasa! I'm your family! You must block the hole with that boulder!" She shouted at him but to no avail.

Rico grabbed a red smoke signal from a small tin and got ready to fire it. The operation has failed. It was obvious from the start that no secret weapon existed. She fired off the red smoke signal which quickly shot up into the air.

"Eren! You're human! You're..." Mikasa continued. She didn't notice it but Eren was once again balling up one of his fists to punch her. Thankfully Ian saw and warned her in time. "Ackerman! Move!" He shouted. Just as she dodged, Eren's fist came pummeling towards her but missed, hitting himself in the face instead. He stumbled back and fell next to the boulder.

"Looks like he knocked himself out." Y/n said. The squad watched Eren's Titan carefully to see what it would do next. "What's up with him? He's just a stupid Titans like all the rest!" Mitabi said. "Eren!" Mikasa and Y/n shouted.

"Squad leader Ian! Two approaching from ahead! One 10-meter and one 6-meter! Another's coming from behind! It's a 12-meter!" A soldier shouted. When he looked around he saw in fact that there were several Titans approaching them. "Ian, we gotta pull out! That brat isn't going to block those gates!" Mitabi said.

"Yeah! We've got no choice but to leave him here." Rico said. Mikasa shot back a glare at them sending a fearful chill down the squad leader's spine.

"Red signal flare from the elite team confirmed! A serious problem has interfered with the blocking operation." A soldier told Pixis. The decoy squad was watching from the walls. "My comrades died in vain! Was it all a waste?" A soldier cried, kneeling on the floor, his hands holding up his head.

"Did they...fail?" Marco asked. Armin walked over and saw the red signal that was in the air. "Why?" Armin said, gritting his teeth before charging off. "Hey! Armin! Where are you going?" Marco shouted.

"Commander Pixis, we should fall back in defending the gate. Do you approve?" A soldier asked. "No." The Commander replied. "Order the elite team to retreat." Another soldier suggested. "No need. Keep luring the Titans to the corner of the town. As for the elite team, they have the authority to act as they see fit. They aren't merely just skilled soldiers. They are the elite among the elite that I entrusted with the future of mankind. Giving up so easily would be unforgivable. We cannot allow our comrades' deaths to be in vain. We must struggle to our very last breaths." Pixis said.