44- Coup D'etat

Wagons filled with Scout Regiment soldiers crossed through the roads of Capital Mitras as citizens watched.

"That's a lot of wagons. What's all that about?" A man asked.

"You mean you haven't heard yet? Pretty much all of the military higher ups are meeting inside the castle. They're finally disbanding the Scout Regiment. See, they're building those gallows to hang the Commander from." A citizen replied.

At the center of the town, Military officers worked to build the gallows as a crowd of people watched.

In the throne room of the castle, Erwin sat waiting for his final judgment in front of the King's Counsel.

"When facing your enemy, you can't just guard with a shield. You need a spear to dispatch the threat. If you disband the Scout Regiment, it will be akin to humanity tossing its spear aside. Suppose that in this very instant Wall Rose was breached, once again half of humanity will be forced to flee, this time into Wall Sina. But the earlier evacuation left us with only a few more days worth of supplies at best. And when they run out, locals and refugees will be forced to fight for survival. Wall Rose and Wall Sina, all of humanity would split and a civil war would quickly erupt. Even if the walls are not breached again, Wall Rose is suffering from a perpetual shortage of food. It may not be titans that breach Wall Sina, it's entirely possible that the residents of Wall Rose will do it first." Erwin stated.

The soldiers near Erwin began to whisper once he finished talking. Many of them were concerned that what he had said could possibly come true.

"Wall Maria must be reclaimed. If humanity is to have any hope for the future, then that is the way." Erwin said.

"And you think that such an undertaking requires the Scouts?" A noble questioned.

"Our duty as Scouts has ever been to charge forward at the enemy. Cowering in wait behind these walls will solve nothing. That's my belief, unless you have some secret plan by which we might overcome this ordeal." Erwin responded.

The council and the King stared down at Erwin once again as he stared directly back at them.

"Commander, it seems you misunderstand what this is. The reason we brought you here is not to discuss our future within the walls, nor is it on account of something as simple as a murder. Claus six of the Charter of Humanity: "One Must Never Prioritize Their Own Gain Over Humanity's Survival", you've broken the most sacred of laws." A noble said as he cleared his throat.

"Indeed. You have refused to hand over Eren Jaeger time and time again, and through this selfish action you've violated our charter." Another noble stated.

"But Eren is vital for the reclamation of Wall Maria." Erwin said. His voice was much more assertive than it had been previously. It was no longer calm and collected, there was almost a desperation in his claims.

"That is not for the Scouts to determine. Eren Jaeger is a Titan whose abilities are far from understood. To shelter him within our walls is to put all of humanity at risk. And the very idea of allowing a single Commander to have control of him is absurd." The councilmen snapped back.

"As shown by the way you maliciously schemed against the state. Not only did you feign his abduction to conceal his whereabouts, you also killed Dimo Reeves when learned too much. This amounts to blatant treason." A noble said.

"It's not a stretch to describe you as a threat to humanity." Another noble decided to chime in.

Erwin sat there glaring up at the counsel as they made their judgement.

"Commander Pixis, the Garrison and Scout Regiments frequently risk their lives side by side on the front lines. How are we to know you aren't working together now?" One of the councilmen questioned.