Chapter 8

Location: The Locker

A song, a song was what woke her up from her sleep. A soft melody, played by a music box. Kate rose from the large bed and noticed a piece of jewelry that defiantly wasn't there before, laying on the edge of her dresser. A necklace wearing a pendant shaped in the form of a crab, but it also seemed to be shaped in the face of a human, the lid of the pendant was opened and Kate could see the inside play the music, a soft melody that felt like a lullaby. As the song ended Kate carefully moved the lit down with the tip of her index finger until it closed with a soft snap.

Suddenly Kate's eyes lowered to the corner of the room, a small crab entered through the shattered walls of the lighthouse. Kate lowered her sight as it looked like the white crab was launched inside with a small wave of seawater.

Her green eyes settled upon the tiny crab that was moving up its claws. For a slight moment, she wondered whether it was the same crab she'd chased earlier. It made the corners of Kate's mouth rise, without even asking herself where the little creature suddenly came from and moving her body down to her knees she lowered her hand, her thin finger moved down toward the minuscule creature.

'Hello there, little one' Kate's soft voice echoed between the walls of the lighthouse. Its small eyes seemed to wink by the bright light once it entered from the shadows, caused by the candles Kate lit earlier to light up the darkness of the night. Moving her finger along its tiny body Kate stared still smiling softly.

'Are you going to keep me company?' she whispered now lowering her sight, her smile weakened and eventually disappeared at the thought of being alone.

'I guess you are just as lonely here as I am' Kate raised from her crouching down and strolled toward the dresser where she moved down on the chair. Her sight went along the room, it had been dark again, for what felt longer than just a night. Her eyes went through the room she'd seen for what felt like a hundred times now, and couldn't help but believe this all once belonged to a woman before she arrived. There were used belongings everywhere, brushes, burned candles, and even jewelry. Her fingertips moved along the image of her reflection, hardly visible in the dusty cracked mirror. Staring at herself Kate suddenly noticed a light that brightened the room coming from the corner of the reflection she was watching. Moving up from the chair she almost tripped as she witnessed the crab growing and growing. Behind Kate's pink lips escaped a shriek as she looked up now falling to the floor but catching her fall with one of the legs of the four-poster bed. Crawling back Kate lifted the fabric of her far too long dress, afraid she might be attacked by the creature. But instead of the crab only getting bigger she noticed limbs growing, the round body of the crab started to shrink even though still growing and turned into the small waist of what had to be a human.

There was a wind sweeping through the room, Kate's stunned face watched it all happen while her long red hair danced in the waves of wind. The bright light almost blinded her, holding her fingers in front of her eyes she closed them. The light started to withdraw and it was only when it completely vanished Kate dared to open her eyes again, they winded when they beheld what the crab had turned into. There was a large female in front of her, she wasn't just very tall but seemed to be bigger than a normal human. Her skin was not the color of a human's skin, but pearl-like white, almost like it still carried the color and texture of the crab's shell, her hair was blue like it was made of the waves of the ocean itself, drifting along with the wind inside the lighthouse room that started to disappear. Her tall body was covered by some fabric that seemed to be out of this world, looking even more expensive than silk, it carried a light color that seemed goldish brown compared to her pearl skin. The woman moved her bare feet to the ground, her tall figure was almost bending down to fit into the high ceiling of the lighthouse, but she did it with grace.