Chapter 4

It was almost amusing, the tall Governor Swann, standing right in front of him, wigless, powerless, shackled inside his office in Port Royal. Cutler removed a sword from its sheath, a sword that had belonged to James Norrington, another fugitive running from justice.

Playing with the sword Cutler turned it over, displaying the fact he had quite a talent and experience handling a sword. For a moment he felt like showing off, but it wasn't in Cutler's nature to do that, at least not while 'she' wasn't around

Cutler tried to remove another memory entering his mind and quickly spoke to Governor Swann staring at him.

'There's something to knowing the exact shape of the world and one's place in it, don't you agree?' Cutler spoke of the Governor's rude behavior from the past. He had never had respect towards Cutler, and now he was here, shackled like a criminal, with nowhere to go. The Governor's own actions haunted him in the end.

'I assure you, there are not necessary' Governor Swann raised his shackled arms. True, the Governor was not at all a threat, just a weak old man. But Cutler had to admit to himself he quite enjoyed the sight of Governor Swann being so powerless.

'I had you brought here because I thought you'd be interested in the whereabouts of your daughter' Cutler continued, ignoring the Governors cry for freedom.

The Governor seemed calm, but his nerves were revealed as soon as he asked if his daughter, Elizabeth Swann, was safe. Cutler couldn't guaranty her safety, in that he felt like he failed Kate, but she would understand, surely she would understand, that it was revenge on the Governor that was more important and that Elizabeth's escape was out of his hands, right?

'Our ships are in pursuit and justice will be dispensed by cannonade and cutlass, and all manner of remorseless pieces of metal. I personally find it distasteful to even contemplate the horror facing all those on board' Cutler felt his stomach turn talking about it, but he didn't show it on his face. It sure would be a horror aboard the ships that were attacked by the Company. It reminded him of his own experience aboard the hostile pirate ship all those years ago, it had made him weaker when it came to a display of all the horror that was going on aboard those ships. But he wouldn't show anyone. The only person he felt free to talk about it to, was long gone..

'Shall I remove these shackles?' Cutler spoke with almost pity to his voice, provoking a reaction from the Governor. A slight smile showed upon Cutler's face once the Governor asked Cutler to save his daughter, this time begging him to save a loved one. Just like Cutler had bagged Governor Swann all those years ago to not hurt Kate just before he kidnapped her. And it was then Cutler was reminded of what the Governor had told him just before he had forced Kate into the carriage that he used to take her with him.

'So you see, Mercer, every man has a price he will willingly accept. Even for what he hopes never to sell'

Weeks passed. Cutler had become aware that rumor runs quickly in the Caribbean and he was not the only one who knew of the legend. It seemed this so-called chest, the chest of Davy Jones, within his hidden heart, was no longer a secret. It was to one man's doing that Cutler's secret mission was revealed to the world. Together with Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner, Jack Sparrow had been searching for the chest as well. To save his own skin, to get away from the deal Jack made all those years ago with the Captain of the Flying Dutchman, so he could save his own ship, now known as the Black Pearl.

Cutler had felt even more anger towards the man, the man he shared so much history with. Jack might not know exactly Cutler's plan, what he would do with Davy Jones' power once he got it, but still, Cutler couldn't ignore the fact that Jack was once again crossing him in his goals, his revenge.