Chapter 15

The second that 15 minutes was up, Kenma sprung to his feet and wasted no time making his way to the bedroom. He took one deep breath before twisting the knob, but it didn't help. Nothing could have prepared him for the sight inside their bedroom.

It was as though Kenma had just walked into a different universe. The room was dimly lit, but everywhere Kenma looked, there were bright stars decorating. Twinkling fairy lights were hung from the bedhead, stretching around all four walls to bathe the room in a soft purple glow. But even more spectacular than that was the projection of an entire galaxy on every surface of the room, stars littering the ceiling and walls in the shape of constellations that Kenma could remember learning about as a child.

Kenma's lips were slightly parted as he took in the sight of a room that was unrecognisable as their own. "Kuro." That was all Kenma could say, knowing words would fail him in conveying how much this meant to him.

Kuroo was seated cross legged on the bed, smiling up at Kenma as though he was the universe that he'd created. A small dome-shape projector was laid onto the bed in front of him, creating the illusion of their room being shrouded in stars. There was such a gentleness to his expression that Kenma wondered if he was the only one that'd ever seen it. "Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful," Kenma whispered, eyes still scanning the room in childlike wonder.

Kuroo opened his arms in gesture for Kenma to come and join him on the bed, to which Kenma happily obliged. Once Kenma was seated next to him, Kuroo wrapped his arms around him, and pulled him closer, so Kenma's back was against his chest. Kenma leaned back into the warm touch. "Thank you, for this."

Kuroo pressed a chaste kiss to Kenma's shoulder. "Kenma, you deserve the universe, and this was the only way I could think of giving it to you." Kenma's face instantly warmed into a crimson blush at Kuroo's words. Every day Kuroo found ways to prove he was a never-ending stream of sappiness, and Kenma wouldn't have it any other way.

Kenma shifted an arm so he could slip his hand into one of Kuroo's, and gave it a soft squeeze, hoping that conveyed to Kuroo all the things that Kenma couldn't fathom putting into words. This means everything to me. I want to give you the universe, too.

I love you.

"The weather ruined my plan to take you actual stargazing, unfortunately," Kuroo mumbled against Kenma's shoulder.

"I like this more. We can go real stargazing another day."

Kuroo hummed in affirmation before lying down on the bed, and pulling Kenma down with him, arms still securely wrapped around his middle. They were both staring at the stars on their ceiling, watching them softly twinkle.

"Do you remember when we used to sneak onto your roof as kids?" Kuroo asked, voice soft.

Kenma did. They'd done it so many times growing up that their parents stopped scolding them as they got older. They'd spent countless nights on Kenma's roof (always Kenma's. It was flat, and therefore not nearly as dangerous as Kuroo's would have been.) Kuroo had always talked about the stars; the chemistry behind how they formed, his favourite constellations, and every dorky thing in between.

Kenma had loved every moment of it, but he'd never admit it. Kuroo knew it anyway.

He couldn't help but be proud of how far they'd come since then, both growing more than they thought they were capable of. Kenma turned his head to press a soft kiss to Kuroo's jaw, followed by another, and then another, and then infinitely more; one for each star dancing around their room.

In the confines of their four-walls, Kuroo and Kenma were both perfectly content to stay in their own little universe, created just for the two of them.