53 | Believe - Part II

- Warning! Depictions of PTSD, victim-blaming and gaslighting! -

(Italics are parts of a flashback.)

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.

Cal,

I've only written to you just now because I need to make up my mind

I cannot take your words because it simply doesn't make any sense.
I cannot believe a man could be forced
by a girl into bedding her.

Even if she did, couldn't you fight her back?
She was only half your size.

If you hold no desire for her,
how would you get her with child?

A man needs to want in order to sire a child with a woman.

I've kept my family in the dark,
I'd rather they not hear about your infidelity.

Tomorrow is the final verdict by the doctor.

Until everything has cleared up,
I think distance would be the best for us.

- Olivia.

***

It was often said that words hold power. That they could both impact the lives of oneself and others. Speaking positively could change one's life for the better and speaking negatively attracted catastrophe. Although Cal believed more in the course of actions to shape one's life, he couldn't deny that it was particularly true in Olivia's case. She wished for distance, and now they'd be separated forever.

Since the doctor had said that Isleen was truly with child, his father had decided that they were to be wed; meaning his engagement with Olivia was to be broken off. Cal couldn't save his world from falling apart as he felt like he was losing his grip on reality.

Today, Olivia was summoned to the palace to return the dowry her family had provided for their engagement, and in return, she was to hand over the necklace; ending their union once and for all. Cal didn't have to be present during the procession, but he couldn't stop himself from watching.

"This is the dowry that we'd like to return to your family," Callisto's private secretary stated as a footman placed a wooden case and some envelopes on a table before Olivia who came with her father.

"Is this all? Make sure you're not missing any," Olivia's father's checked each of the boxes for its content. Callisto's mouth curled with disgust.

Olivia nodded weakly, presenting a few ornate boxes herself. "And these are the jewellery that the Empress had so kindly lent me. I did promise to take good care of them," she whispered, wiping the tear off her eyes with her gloved finger.

"And of course, we ought to withdraw our monetary support for the crown," Olivia's father scowled.

"Just take it away, we don't need them anyway!" Callisto spat, turning to Olivia. "The necklace, my dear?"

Olivia choked on her breath, she was still wearing the necklace. Letting out a small hiccup, her fingers slowly crept up to its chain, uncuffing them. Her face reddened with shame and humiliation.

Callisto grimaced, extending her hand toward Olivia's neck, ready to rip the necklace off her body if he should.

"You keep it, dear," Estelle came up, smiling at her considerately. "Just keep it."