𝐭𝐰𝐨

"187?" Your eyes widen "so you're a genius?" Spencer chuckles, sipping his water. You two are sitting at a small table in the far corner of La Jolie, a small cafe near campus with beautiful scenery. The fall wind was picking up but it was still lovely outside for September in Connecticut.

"Yep, I graduated high school at twelve. I have three doctorates, mathematics, chemistry and engineering," he watches you as you lean back in your chair, honestly astonished.

"I thought I was smart for having a master's in psychology at thirty-one," Spencer raises his eyebrows "that is still very impressive, Y/N, no need to compare yourself to me." You take a bite of your salad, glancing up at Spencer, his soft hazel eyes scan your face, pausing ever so quickly on your lips. He's attractive but you have a feeling he would never consider you like that, he seems like he's into quite girls.

"Are you profiling me, agent?" You tease at his title. He smiles, his cheeks flushing "what do you see, what is there to profile?" You half lean across the tables bringing your face half a foot from his when he doesn't respond "can I profile you then?" He nods "if I'm right you have to profile me, if I'm wrong you can keep your observations to yourself." He exhales, although he doesn't move his face away from you until you lean back.

"You're a genius, obviously, but with the excess intelligence it makes little room for social skills, you've been through a lot but your good at hiding it. You look a little tired, emotionally, but you seem happy teaching and sharing your knowledge and it's clearly helping you process whatever you've gone through. You're also mature, and have been since you were very young, I'm guessing that means you didnt have a strong parental figure in your life." You examine him, he has a permanently sad look hidden behind his eyes, he's clearly lost a lot. "You make up for all your personal loss by researching and studying, but you aren't all brains, you know I bet you have a reckless side." You watch as his eyes flit away from you, his hand running through his hair.

"Alright." He leans back "good enough." You scoff at his remark "n-no, I'm sorry I didnt mean to make you seem inferior- all I meant was-"

"I know what you meant Spencer," you readjust your position in your chair "now it's your turn." You stare into his eyes, searching for what he might say. He leans back, resting his hands behind his head. He's wearing a dark grey suit with a baby blue button-up underneath, a crooked pinstripe tie resting across his chest.

"You're confident, overtly so, to the point even where it seems you have doubts that you're trying to cover up," he pauses, running his tongue across his lip "you clearly like to push yourself and try and reach an expectation, someone, probably your parents, have had set for you since you were young. You keep adjusting your clothes and the way your seating, suggesting that you're very self-conscious, unknowingly though." Spencer sits forward, resting his palms on his knees "You constantly seek validation from people and try and accomplish that through strenuous achievements and perpetual kindness and humour." You stare at him, mouth slightly ajar "you study psychology but I bet your real passion is writing, isn't it? Reading too, I put you as the poetry type." You turn your head, he managed to figure you out down to the very last detail.

"And how do you know that, Professor Reid?" You rest your elbows on the table, holding your chin in your hands. He reaches forward gesturing at your wrist, pausing to look up at you as if double-checking you're comfortable before he takes your wrist in his hands, which you now saw were rather large and veiny. "Is this not the symbol from the Harvard Institute for World Literature?" He points at the circle-like symbol tattooed on your upper forearm, you nod "having a tattoo like that at Yale is quite hilarious to me." You blush, letting him continue to hold your wrist across the table.

"My mom, she always used to sign me up for classes there when I was younger, she never told my dad because he always gets so defensive when anything about Harvard gets mentioned. I got the tattoo my first year of college right before she and I had a falling out, now I'm stuck with it." You glance up at him, regretting your moment of vulnerability, but he simply smiles and releases your wrist.

"I've never been fond of the idea of permanently altering your body," he says flagging down the waiter for the check.

"I can pay Spencer," you say when he begins to pull his wallet out of his pocket.

"Nonsense, it's your first day, consider it my treat," you flash him a warm smile, pushing a strand of hair behind your ear "so tell me Y/N, what do you think about teaching?" He says as he signs the check.

"Well, truly I love it, it's kind of my dream job, and to have such an intelligent partner.." you watch as he smirks, grabbing his satchel off the floor beside him "I'm glad I didn't end up with some old boring dude who just drones on for two hours," he shrugs extending his forearm to help you out of your chair.

"So you mean every other professor here?" You laugh nudging him as you walk back towards campus. "I'll take it as a compliment, most people find my anxious rambles just as boring as lectures." You turn, you quite loved listening to his rambles earlier that day in class.

"People don't like it?" He nods, staring at the floor as if he's remembering a painful memory "I think they're interesting." You watch the corners of his lips turn upwards, suddenly he seems to notice the proximity between you two and steps a few inches away. He notices the sudden anxiety in your steps, frantically turning to you.

"Y/N, it's not you- I just have a weird germ thing sometimes- like hand to hand contact and stuff- I promise- I didn't mean to insult you," his eyes are filled with genuine panic and for some reason it puts a small smile on your face. The thought that he's so concerned about your feeling warms your heart a little, most of the men you know don't mind blatantly insulting you.

"I understand, don't worry Spence," you pause at the nick name, you hadn't even intended to say that. "I meant Spencer- sorry," He smiles, this time it's a honest, wide grin.

"It's alright, my friend from the BAU, JJ, she calls me that." You chew the inside of your cheek as he talks "you can call me that if you want, it's really okay."

"You can call me Star if you want to make things even- It's my childhood nickname," you're surprised that you're telling him this, you had never told anyone the before, especially after knowing them for one day.

"Well... Y/N, I'll see you tomorrow for class?" He says once you reach the parking lot, you nod "you can maybe start to help with the lesson planning if the rest of week goes as well as today."

"Really?" He smiles warmly at your interest "I'd love that!" You stare at each other for a brief moment "well I'll see you tomorrow then.. Spence."

"See you tomorrow, Star."

His words fill your stomach with butterflies, for the first time in ages you're excited to wake up for work.