Part 60: Investigation results

I glanced around, somewhat amused with everybody's reactions.

Ivy's father looked distraught, as if he had lost a hope within him.

A few people who worked for the law had a confused expression, which was reasonable.

The judge was supposed to read evidence before any trial started, and if there was no poison, he usually wouldn't continue the idea of this trial.

But then again, perhaps it was my status that rushed the Judge to continue, because things like this couldn't be ignored.

He probably wanted to make the fact clear with a trial, because the victim and the accused suspect were both from prestigious families.

I was touched by this act, because then my name would be pretty much cleared.

If this wasn't put into a trial, then many people would still believe I had been the one who had done it.

Even if it weren't his intentions to help me, but simply to state the fact to anyone who wouldn't believe it, this action helped me quite a lot. 

"But....This can't be! Ivy was clearly a healthy girl since birth, she couldn't have just fainted right there without any r-reason!"

The voice came from Ivy's father, Count Castria. 

Usually talking like this in court was have been considerably rude, but he was only worried for his daughter. 

All eyes fell on his anxious state, but nobody knew what to say to the father of the victim himself. 

I wasn't in a position to talk myself, since I would not get into The Count's matters as the prime suspect. 

In the end, nobody responded to his declaration. 

The trial was over, fortunately for me, and it was time to return. 

I noticed a few specks of anger in The Count's eyes as we were escorted out of the room. 

For what reason was he in such a resentful state? 

And here I thought he would be focused on caring for his daughter rather than trying to rake justice in for her.

Every time I looked at his sorry state, I couldn't help but wonder this one fact.

I watched as they left the room one by one, but I declined the offer to follow them. 

I was originally going to bring up all the evidence against the Temple as I went through the trial to prove my innocence, but since the trial ended early the chance wasn't given to me. 

I've obviously done my research before coming to the trial, at least know a bit of the law system. 

When I heard this judge's name being mentioned, I quickly asked around about him. 

A bit of knowledge and I knew he was one of the highest ones ranking in this country, if not the highest. 

Of course, he didn't surpass my father but came close enough. 

This was a matter of nobles, and I was the crown prince's fiance.

The quality of this trial must be more luxurious than any other because of our status. 

Normally it would have been the Duke himself, but he was family to the suspect. 

He would at least attempt to cover or decrease my punishment, as common sense went. 

If they couldn't assign my father to this, the country would have at least assign another one who was in a high position.