Chapter 6

Poppy went to the hospital to see Branch. He was in a bed, still unconscious, and there was a doctor standing over him.

     "Is he ok?" Poppy asked, slowly approaching the doctor. He looked at her, and shook his head, as he sighed.

"We don't know. We can't find anything wrong with him. He's 100% healthy, but he just won't wake up..."

     Poppy sighed, looking away.

     "If it makes you feel better, Queen Poppy... he doesn't seem to be in any pain. It's almost like he's just sleeping."
"Thanks doctor. That does help a little... I just wish he would wake up."

     "I'll let you have some time alone with him, but visiting hours end in a few minutes."
"Thank you."

     He nodded, and then walked out.

     Poppy looked at Branch, and sighed, as she sat down next to him.

     She put her hand on his head, combing her fingers through his hair, as she gazed down at him, tears in her eyes.

     "Come on, Branch... wake up..."

     Later that night, Poppy walked through the forest, thinking about Branch. The doctor had told her there was nothing wrong with him, but if that were true... why wouldn't he wake up?

     Suddenly she heard a quiet noise. She froze, listening closely. Someone was singing.

     Slowly, she walked towards the sound, hearing it get a little louder.

     "I know. There's a place. A place where I belong. A place to call home," she heard the voice singing.

     There was a bush blocking her path, so she crawled into it, looking out on the other side.

     She gasped when she saw the troll like creature, with the other creature sitting in her lap.

     "Someday. I'll find it. All on my own," she sang, petting the small creatures head. It looked up at her, it's tongue hanging out of its mouth, as it panted happily.

     "It may be far, but as long as I can dream. I will dream. Of a place. To call home."

     Slowly, Poppy stepped out of the bush, the troll like creature gasping, as she saw her. She stood, holding the little creature in her arms, as it growled.

     "Please... I'm not going to hurt you," Poppy said, quietly. "I just... I need to know what you did to my boyfriend."

     The creature looked at her, frightened. Now that she didn't have her ray, she had no way to defend her self.

     "Stay back!" she yelled, backing away a bit. "Don't come any closer."
"I just need your help. You hit my boyfriend with that ray thingy. He won't wake up. You gotta help him."

     "Why would I do that? So he can help you attack me? No way!" She hugged the little creature tightly, as it continued growling at Poppy.

     Poppy looked down, tears in her eyes.

     "I just need him to be ok..." she said, softly.

     The little creature stopped growling, looking up at the troll like creature, giving her a look as if saying; "help her."

     Finally, the troll like creature sighed, looking away.

     "He's fine..." Poppy looked up at her, wiping her tears away, as she listened. "The ray just puts people to sleep, and makes them forget the whole day. It gives us enough time to get away, and then they don't come to find us, cuz they can't remember we exist. He should wake up soon..."
"Us?" Poppy asked, quietly.
"My species. We're Trolls... but... a different kind than you."

     "I'm a pop troll," Poppy said. "What kind are you?"
"We don't really have a name. We just call each other trolls. You however... call us the others."
"The others?"

     She nodded her head.

     "Your kind hunted our kind, cuz we were different, so we ran, but... I got separated from my family a few days ago... and now I can't find my way back."
"I will help you. Find your family."
"Yeah right. You trolls can't be trusted."
"I don't know what we used to do, but we are not like our ancestors. We strive to live in harmony, welcoming all trolls, no matter their differences, cuz our differences are what makes us special."

     The other looked at Poppy. "You... you mean it?" Poppy nodded.
"Absolutely."
"I'll... have to think about it. I don't know if I can trust you yet."
"Ok... I understand."

     She turned, starting to walk away, but stopped, turning back to face the other.

     "My name's Poppy by the way."
"I'm Ariana. This is Zenid," she said, gesturing to the creature in her arms.

Poppy smiled. "It is nice to meet you properly, Ariana and Zenid. I hope I'll see you again soon."

She turned, walking back home.

In the morning she went back to the hospital to check on Branch, but he still hadn't woken up yet.

Slowly, she walked over, sitting next to him.

"Branch..." she said, quietly. "I talked to the one who attacked you. She told me you were supposed to be awake by now. So... why won't you wake up?" He didn't reply. He just continued sleeping.

Tears came from Poppy's eyes, as she combed her fingers through Branch's hair.

"Please, Branch," she whispered. "You need to wake up."

She sighed, seeing that Branch wasn't going to wake up. She looked away, and stood, walking towards the door.

"Ugh..." she suddenly heard. She turned, seeing Branch sitting up slowly, as he rubbed his eyes.

"Branch? Branch!"

Quickly, she ran over to him, giving him a big hug.

"Are you ok?" she asked, as she pulled away from the hug, to look at him.
"Umm... I think so... one question though..." He looked at her, confused. "Who are you?"