Chapter 8

Poppy waited outside Branch's hospital room, pacing, while a doctor checked on Branch to see if they could figure out what was wrong with him.

     Finally, the doctor walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

     "So? Did you figure out what was wrong with him?"
"He seems to have server amnesia, but I'm not quite sure what's caused it. He doesn't seem to have suffered any head injuries. It's very un-coming."
"So... what can we do?"
"Nothing we can do. We just have to hope his memory comes back on its own."
"What if we just tell him?"
"That's a bad idea. Telling people with amnesia too much at once can cause serious brain damage, and then he may never go back to normal."

     Poppy looked away sadly. "So... he's stuck like this?"
"For now... yes. Maybe even forever."

     She started to cry, thinking about the fact that Branch may never remember who she is.

     A little while later, Poppy walked into the hospital room, seeing Branch looking out the window.

     "Hey, Branch. What are you doing?"
"This doesn't look like the troll tree... where are we?"
"Well... we're in Trollstopia. We... um... escaped from Bergen town while you were asleep."
"Oh. Is Grandma here?" he asked, turning to look at her, smiling. "She would love to know that we escaped. It's been her dream forever."

     Poppy looked at him, not knowing what to say. She couldn't just tell him his grandma was dead. That would break his heart.

     "Well... she's not here... right now," Poppy said.
"Oh..." Branch said, looking away, sadly. "When... when will she be here?"

     "Umm... you know what? Why don't we go get some ice-cream?" Branch's face lit up, as he looked at Poppy.

     "Ice-cream? I love ice-cream. Grandma always gets fudge swirl, but I like Chocolate. It's my favorite. Though it's not nearly as good as my grandma's fluffleberry cake. Maybe when she gets here, she can make one, and we can all eat it together!" He bounced up and down, excited about the though.

     "Yeah... maybe when she gets here. Right now let's stick with the ice-cream, ok?"
"Ok."

     He started to run towards the door, but stopped, turning back to look at Poppy.

     "Wait... what's your name?" he asked.
"Pop..." she paused, thinking about what the doctor said, and the fact that Branch thought Poppy was just a baby. She might break his brain, if she told him the truth.

     "Poppifer," she finally said. "My name is Poppifer."
"Hmm... that name sounds familiar..." he said, thinking. Poppy smiled at him, and then put her hand on his shoulder.

     "Let's go get that ice-cream."