Chapter 30

"Let's go through things, alright? You need to get back into routine after being gone and taking a... break," Jeremy says, and I nearly forgot how quickly he speaks.

"It was only two days," I drawl.

"First, most importantly, Alpha Nicodra will be coming at the end of the month-"

"David called? Nicodra said yes?"

Jeremy insists, "It's what I received. I receive the information, and I structure your schedule, that's all."

"I thought you knew everything?"

He holds my gaze for a moment before he takes a breath and sets down his papers on the dining room table. "Yes, Nicodra agreed to come and speak with you. The Alpha called yesterday."

"Was he upset? Angry?"

"I wasn't the one on the phone, Brigette-I don't know."

I lean back in my chair and figure I'll have to ask David tonight. However, over the past two days I've hardly seen more than glimpses of my mate. The only time we're truly together is when he joins me in bed late at night, far past my bedtime. I feel the covers move, and I sleepily turn over. David whispers for me to go back to bed as he takes me into his arms.

Last night, I had the energy to ask where he's been. Just behind my ear he told me things would start to slow down-it's only because he's been gone. It's always like this after he's been gone.

"Moving on," Jeremy clears his throat, making me flinch. "We'll cover what you'll need to say during Alpha Nicodra's visit, but for now we'll focus on your endeavors. The Alpha also wanted me to include more training lessons with him, and he added that you might disagree. He said to ignore this."

I smile softly to myself. "You know, Jeremy, all of that actually sounds nice."

"Should it not? We are working on your project. Be ready for many phone calls, emails, meetings with Luna Godoy. There may even be trips in the future, far away ones which I'm sure would please the little runaway inside of you."

"Trips?" I question and rest my chin on my palm. "Far away; how far?"

"Across oceans, I'm sure."

A glimmer of hope tickles in my gut-hope that both pieces of myself will be unified. Jeremy and I get to work, drafting personal emails to send to those who were not present up North, a message from myself to pair with the information sent by the union. We also send an email to Bonny asking what role she would like to take in this campaign; how much time she has to dedicate to it. I still wonder about Aurora since she did have a part in the idea's formulation. I decide to offer her a place on our team if all goes as planned during Nicodra's visit. After all, Aurora is very different from her mate. Honestly, I wonder why on earth the Goddess mated them at all.

The handle of the front door clicks from down the hall. I jolt and look to Jeremy, but he doesn't seem as interested as I do. The door opens and closes, and I call, "Hello?"

Footsteps carry, and Jeremy glances to the entry. My face lights up as David enters the dining room. I push out my seat and stand with my fingertips kissing the wood of the table, asking, "What are you doing home? I thought I wouldn't see you until tonight."

My gleam of joy flickers when I notice a lack of his own. David takes me from the dining room and says we need to talk. I obey, and he takes me into the kitchen. I catch sight of Helena through the french doors, sitting on the porch with a glass of water and an old book. She glances back at the sight of us but promptly returns to her words.

"I have to leave for a few days," he says, still winding down from his trek here. My breath catches in my throat, and I stare wide-eyed. I blink for mental clarity. "It's my father."