Chapter 50

Sunlight is diffused into a soft glow by the sheer curtain pulled over the large window in my room. I have been awake for a while already, yet I haven't left the bed. I lay on my back with my head propped against two pillows, and I rub my flat tummy as if casting a spell. The incantation is a murmur on my lips. "If you're in there, just hang on. We're only here for one more night, and then we'll get back home to your Daddy. I just need you to work with me, okay?"

It's almost eight o'clock. Jeremy will knock on my door any moment now to make sure I'm getting myself ready for the day. There are meetings in the late morning all through the afternoon, then tonight we have a formal dinner which I packed a very sophisticated dress for—clean edges, all business. Without David, this is no more than a business trip, but maybe next time we can come together and explore Germany for an extra few days.

"By then, I suppose you can come too," I say to my maybe baby. "I'm sure Germany is much more exciting when you're not trapped in my belly."

The knock strikes and I call, "Just a minute!"

I slide out of bed and wrap my arms around myself as I shuffle to the heavy hotel door and heave it open. Jeremy stands on the other side, welcoming himself in and closing the door behind him.

"You're not dressed? Breakfast is in thirty minutes."

"Good morning to you too," I say with an artificial sweetness. "I slept well, considering. Though, it is a bit drafty in here."

Jeremy mindlessly adjusts the thermostat as he says, "I have some things to take care of. Bonny and Lyde will eat breakfast with you, and then you will have an hour or so before the first meeting. Walk around and find out where each banquet room is located so you aren't late for anything."

"Is everything okay? Where are you running off to?"

"Personal matters, Brigette."

"And here I thought we were friends," I mutter. "Well, when will you be back? I'm kinda nervous being here without you around. You know the ropes. I don't want to screw something up."

Jeremy pats my shoulder. "Now isn't the time to doubt yourself. Besides, everyone is expecting greatness from you. They know how successful you've been thus far—maintain that reputation."

"Okay, but you'll be at dinner, right?"

"Yes, I will see you at dinner. Now get changed. Brush your hair. And meet the others in the hall in twenty minutes."

I can't squeeze in another word before Jeremy is heading out of the room. Something is definitely bothering him—he's all choppy and strung-up—and I hope it isn't the fact that this territory belongs to his past employers. Maybe he's anxious about seeing them. I'm sure Alpha Dreier is wandering about downstairs, overseeing and supervising. It must have been some friendship-ending disagreement to have Jeremy escaping on personal matters.

"Personal matters?" I question to myself, "In Germany?"

Perhaps Jeremy and I are more similar than I originally thought because running away from problems is my kind of solution. "Let's get dressed," I tell Maybe Baby.

I meet Bonny and Lyde in the hall as instructed. Breakfast is served in a large room of tables draped in white table clothes with dainty summer flowers displayed in their centers. The windows are all curtain-free to let the morning light shine upon us, but despite the hosting pack's efforts, nothing can transform Lyde into a morning person. She moves about stiffly and yawns every minute. The jet lag must be taking its toll, but I suppose I've been too distracted with my body's other issues to submit to tiredness.