failed potions

Rolling your eyes, you watched as Tommy botched a potion recipe, Wilbur (who had shaken your hand at breakfast to introduce himself, apologising for the "weird behaviour" of his brother-he got a smack on the head from Tommy for that) encouraging him to add more and more stuff, which got very concerning very quickly.

It took Wilbur holding a pile of ashes he had gotten from god knows where in his hand for you to intervene, flicking a finger up so the cauldron floated up towards the ceiling, too high up for anyone to reach.

"Why?" Tommy whined, waving a wooden spoon around, flecks of his abomination of a potion flicking around the kitchen.

"You are meant to be making a potion of swiftness, not...whatever that was." You pointed up at the cauldron, everyone's eyes turning to it.

Tommy still pouted when you poured it down the sink, absolutely distraught that his creation was gone, insistent on the fact that it was a "good potion". You begged to differ, the cauldron still smoking even with the contents gone, the remains of the potion itself starting to bore holes through the metal.

What on earth had these two created?

Setting it to the side, you grabbed a new cauldron, pouring out a potion of awkwardness from the stockpile Phil had said to use, lighting the brewing stand with a click of your fingers. Completely aware of their gaze, you slowly added some sugar, sprinkling it over the potion until it started to bubble, light blue steam billowing out of it, smelling like caramel. You flicked off the heat, smiling as the liquid started to sparkle, almost like there was glitter mixed in it.

"Phil's potions don't do this." Wilbur leaned over your shoulder, gazing at the cauldron, eyebrows furrowed. "They usually just change colour and then boom, done."

"YEAH! None of this bloody smoke stuff, I think it's too...dramatic!"

You raised an eyebrow, pouring the potion carefully into bottles, not sure if they were both being stupid as a joke. "I'm a witch. Did you forget that? Magic is literally our thing." Corking each one carefully, you dropped them into Wilbur's arms, sighing. "Humans can never replicate that. No matter how hard they try."

There was a silence, and you almost kicked yourself for making it awkward, even though you were just saying the truth-humans could never replicate true magic.

Tommy punched you lightly on the shoulder, a grin on his face. "Well, you can't replicate how I talk to ladies, eh?"

You laughed, dissolving into giggles at Wilbur, who looked completely and utterly disappointed, having to place his head in his hands to register what Tommy said. He placed down the potion bottles, letting out a few defeated laughs, not even fighting back when Tommy nudged him a few times.

Just as you turned away to laugh even more, the door opened wide, Techno storming in, holding a bloody axe in his hand. The smile on your face faded, and you took a small step away, eyeing the axe nervously.

He nodded awkwardly at you, nodding a little bit-at you or just in general, you didn't know.

Phil followed after him, eyes immediately falling on the broken cauldron, or what was left of it, large gaping holes making it completely unusable. He didn't even look at you, turning to Tommy and Wilbur instead, arms crossed. Techno seemed to follow his train of thought, but he held back a smile, giving you a knowing look.

It seemed like potion mishaps were normal here.

"Well, at least I do see some swiftness potions-Y/N's work I presume?" Phil picked up the bottle, holding it up with wide eyes. "Yes, definitely your work."

Techno reached for a bottle as well, frowning at the glowing liquid inside, holding it gingerly with two fingers, as if he thought it would explode on him. You waited awkwardly for either to comment, feeling a little like you were being judged.

"I didn't realise a witch's magic would be this strong..." Phil placed it back down, turning to you with a gleam in his eye. "What about enchanting? You must be stronger at that, right?"

"I-I should be..."

"We need the best weapons if we want to finally beat Dream. I'd appreciate it if you helped us, Y/N." Phil gave you a soft smile, nodding even though you hadn't really agreed to anything yet.

Well, you couldn't exactly say no.

"Sure," you answered, sighing as Phil collected every bottle, walking quickly out of the kitchen, Tommy following and yelling about something or other, Wilbur quickly speeding out as well to scold him.

You weren't quite sure how to feel. Was magic the only reason anyone here found you important? It was always about being a witch, wasn't it?

A hand brushed against your hair, and you jolted, completely lost in your own thoughts. Techno rubbed the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact and letting his hair fall in front of his face, expression indiscernible. "Something was in your hair." Blushing, you started patting your own head, trying to remove whatever it was, panicking a little when Techno took a step forward. You froze, and he gently pulled something out, flicking it onto the ground with a small smile, offering you a thumbs up.

"Ooooo Techno has a crush!"

Tommy was standing in the doorway, pointing an accusatory finger at both of you, a taunting expression on his face. That immediately faded when Techno straightened up, reaching for his axe.

You kept your eyes on the floor, heart pounding.

The blood god wasn't so bad.