Chapter 35

"Hello?" Karson's loud voice echoed throughout his house. He still had one of his hands wrapped around the door handle as he peeked inside to check where everyone was.

He grunted, opening the door wider as Jace and I stood close behind him. The door shot open, revealing an empty foyer. We all walked into the house, our shoes creating loud thuds against the floor as it broke the unsettling silence.

"Pretty girl!" I heard Braxton yell, his voice scaring the shit out of me as my body flinched. I looked to my left to see Colton and Braxton at the top of the stairs as Colton held Olivia against his chest.

I grunted, narrowing my eyes Braxton as he practically ran down the stairs. He immediately wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me as tight as he could. I heaved into his chest, my breath getting lodged in my throat as I tried to let my chest expand.

He finally let me go, stepping back as I inhaled a deep breath. I glared at him as I placed a hand over my chest. "Dickhead."

"I heard what happened," Braxton sobered up, his face contorting with worry as Colton slowly walked down the stairs. Karson stood next to me as Jace was slightly hidden behind my figure. "I'm so sorry, Dakota."

"You heard?" I asked. I didn't tell him.

"Karson gave me the rundown," he frowned, his eyes swimming with pity. I guess Karson told him while Dawson and I were talking in the corner.

"What did he say exactly?" I raised one of my eyebrows as I glanced over to Colton. His eyes softened as he lightly ran his fingers through Liv's curls. Her small snores filled the room as she briefly squirmed in his hold. She was asleep.

"Your mom got arrested and you, Jace, and Olivia were going to stay the night," he told me as his eyes flickered between Jace and I.

I almost breathed a sigh of relief when I heard that was all Karson told him. I wasn't ready for everyone to know about what my mother has done to us. One step at a time.

I briefly broke my gaze away from Braxton and turned my head to look at Karson. I noticed his eyes were already on me and his jaw was locked. He raised one of his eyebrows in concern, but I gave him a small smile in reassurance.

"Shit happens," I shrugged, immediately regretting it because of how insensitive I sounded. My body tensed as I heard Jace snort behind me.

Braxton's mouth was hung open as he rapidly blinked at me. I had to choke back a laugh as I looked between Colton and Braxton's shocked faces.

"Jesus, Dakota," Karson mumbled, only loud enough for me to hear as he lightly shook his head. It was obvious he was trying to fight back a smile as he bit down on his lower lip. Hot.

Stop.

"I don't want to talk about this right now. I just want to forget, only for tonight," I forced a smile onto my lips as the lie easily slipped off my tongue. Braxton hesitantly nodded his head as Colton blankly stared at me.

I noticed that both Braxton and Colton saw the bruise covering my jaw, but neither of them said anything. I was grateful because I really wasn't in the mood to talk about any of the events that went down today. I'm glad they let it go. For now.

"Dakota," Karson warned in a hushed voice. He looked at me with concerned eyes as a glint of uncertainty flashed across his face.

"Just for now," I choked out, giving him a knowing look before he clenched his jaw. He briefly shut his eyes before slowly nodding his head.

"Okay then," Braxton started as he dragged out the end of his sentence. "Let's watch a movie! I was thinking 50 Shades of Grey-"

"Absolutely not," Colton interrupted, his eyes boring into Braxton's as his eyes flickered to Olivia. His eyes remained on Olivia, then Braxton, then Olivia, and back to Braxton.