Chapter 3

“I should have told him earlier right?”Nathan muttered as he chugged down the last drop of beer in his bottle.He threw it down the window and sighed ashe heard the crash.Drake sat on the floor looking at his friend getting miserable every day.Actually it was the second day after the whole incident. It was getting sick now looking at his friend drawling his ‘if’s and ‘why’sin his drunken state. Drake startled as he watched Nathan tuned a sad song from his laptop and cleared his throat.Drake then did not know whether he should laugh or cry for his friendin this state. Nathan was bobbing his head upand down trying to meet the rhythm of the song. Using the new bottle of beer as the speaker Nathan sang the song horribly crying out his voice.

“It’s a quarter after one I’m a little drunk and I need you noooooww!”

Drake sighed as he stood upand turned off the music. Nathan who realized that the music wasn’t there after ten secondslooked at Drake with his droopy eyes.

“What the fuck, man?”

“No moreof this foolishness, Nathan.Man up and go. Talk to him.Maybe he will listen. Maybe he will try to understand youare a changed man now.”To this Nathan started crying.

Drake wanted to punch him but he controlled his frustration that was building up day by day. He just patted Nathanon the back and took the beer bottle from him. They stayed silent like that until Nathan calmed down and sniffed.

“He does not want to see me, Drake. He avoids me like a plague. You saw him yesterday how he backed upwhen I went to see him after class. He lookslike he’s going to cry any minute.And he’s locked himself in that stupid art class like forever.”Nathan sniffed as he wiped his nose with his sleeve. Drake just rubbed his shoulder trying to comfort him.

“I really want to see him,Drake. And I wasn’t lying about the loving him part.I do love him.I am sure of it. He’s so beautiful. How can anyone not love him huh? Not that I want to share. Seriously if some girl or guy comes near him I will fucking gut that-“

“Nathan just sleep or something, you look sick.”Drake commented as he gulped down his share of beer.

“I am alright, just feeling a little pukish.Like any minuteI will puke my guts and my heart out.” Nathan said and took a deep breath as he lookedat his best friend.

“Drake?”

“Hmmm..”

“Does it hurt that bad?”

“What? Nathan-“

“You know.......this heart thing.Is this supposed to hurt that bad.It feels like my chest is burning all thetime. All the time when I think about him,this chest feels so empty and hollow. Like any minute,I would burst. Drake, am I supposed to feel like that?huh? Am I supposed to feel something so horrible.”By the end,Nathan’s eyes were streaming with tears. Drake looked down on the floor and sighed.

He did not have any answer tohim. He was speechless. His friend was miserable and he was helpless.

There was knock on thedoor and Drakegotup to open it. He found no one there. Was someone playing a prankon them.As he was going toclose it he noticed a bag on the floor. He looked both sides and found no one. He picked it upand tossed it on the bed. Nathan was tryingto get up with his wobbly feet.

“What is it?”drawled Nathan, staggering.Drake reluctantly opened to find neatly folded clean piles ofjeans, sweatshirts and underwear. He sighed as he picked up a sticky note attached to it.

“Your clothes left in my room.No need to come.

Danny.”

Drake did not knowwhat to do about the note,if his friend reads it, he was going to get a heartbreak again. Nathan just stared at the bag and muttered,“Danny?”