❆Second Chance (08)

~J A C K S O N~

THE NEXT DAY, EVERYTHING GOES BACK TO NORMAL. I'm in my office, going over a few ideas on how to make the bookstores front more welcoming and attractive. I've been getting non stop calls from my mom and texts asking me whether we should have the potato salad special this Christmas or not. Asking me so many questions I cannot answer right now.

When we got back to the bookstore yesterday, Linda was furious, more or so directed at me and I seriously can't blame her. She's such a hardworking person and me leaving with Lily without even letting her know is a little low.

That rhymed!

Anyway, Alexis was furious that she couldn't work there anymore but she also didn't want to show that side of herself to Zeke. I understand because my mom never wants to be another woman in front of Theo, even though that literally happened a few days ago.

Austin on the other hand, he is very and I mean very, overwhelmed. He is constantly running around the house trying to practice a few things while all trying to avoid thinking about that Cassidy girl who he involuntarily slept with. It's not pretty to hear about.

I need to get back to my mom though, and soon. If she finds out that I'm ignoring her texts and calls just because I'm so caught up in work, she is going to go all Linda on me and trust me, it is not a promising sight.

A knock on the door brings me out of my thoughts and it's sort of become a habit to be in such deep thought. Getting a knock at the door brings me out of it. The only people that constantly comes here are Linda, Lily and Amy.

"Come in. . ." I mumble, dropping my little file and glancing up at the door.

The door opens, revealing Lily with a smile on her really glossy lips. I smile right back and nod as she shuts the door and takes a seat opposite me. Her hair is flat and tied into a low ponytail, giving me a great view of her neck and the sides of her face.

I want to think it's impossible to get more beautiful by the day, by the second or just getting more beautiful everytime I see you. But it's not because well, Lily is right here and she's so much more beautiful.

"Hi," she greets. This is the first time I'm seeing her for the day so far because I arrived before everyone today. I tried cleaning up my office but it was impossible.

"Hey," I greet gently, the side of my mouth quirking. I don't know why, but after yesterday I feel a tiny little more confident when speaking to Lily.

Her lashes flutter and she smiles. "I need help with something. I'm going to be asking for much but I just need to you to hear me out, okay? Please."

I chuckle, "yeah sure, what's up?" I raise my brow.

"Alexis needs a job and I kind of suggested she worked here," she sighs, looking down at her lap before looking back at me. "I told her she could start tomorrow and that she be here at eight. I was hoping you hire her? But don't tell her, you know just welcome her. If this is asking too much, it's okay. You know what, I shouldn't have asked, I'm just taking advantage and I shouldn't be. I'll just go!" I don't know what is wrong with me but, I actually laugh at her cute ramble.

Lily looks at me, her eyes hurdling with confusion and I sigh out. "It's okay, Lily. I mean, part of it is my fault and I was the one who drove you guys there. So the least I could do is offer her the job which is what I should have done yesterday already!"

"You mean it? Really? Wow, thank you so much. You're so kind, too kind," Lily laughs, "no wonder Zeke likes you so much."

Yesterday Zeke wouldn't let his mom say no when he asked if he could visit me at the bookstore everyday. He was so adamant at getting his mom to say yes that he refused to even hear the damn the word, No.

Second Chance | ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara