❆Second Chance (15)

~LILY~

"WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN? Jackson, you said you'd arrive in an hour. Look, it's almost one and a half hours that passed!" Linda scowls, directly at Jackson than at me.

Jack sighs, his cheeks tinging a bright pink. "Linda, look, the ride from JCNP is at least thirty minutes and still, traffic." He says, looking at me from the corner of his eye. "We got caught up with a few things as well. . ."

Oh God, please don't expose us. Or me. . .

Linda narrows her eyes at us, before she sets her gaze back on the woman she was accompanying through the sale deal. The woman is smiling at the six pack stack of books on the shelf that reads SALE with a discount of twenty percent.

"Get to work. The bookstore closes soon. . ." Linda trails, walking off to her customer she left stranded. I giggle softly at how this bookstore is managed. Jack, being the new owner is somewhat irresponsible but it makes him so fun and exciting.

I look up at Jack to see that his gaze is already fixed on me. His brown eyes falls to my lips and bite my lip tauntingly. I notice how his Adam's Apple bobs in his throat and he gulps.

He shuts his eyes, lifting his gaze to the roof before walking closer to me. His eyes open, gazing around the bookstore to see that people really don't care about the mysterious tension between Jack and I. His hand grips my waist softly.

He does something that surprises me and presses his lips on my cheek, close to my ear where he mutters ever so softly;

"I expect another make out session soon."

My body tingles at the proximity between the two of us and the fact that he wants a round two. I don't want him to move. I inhale his scent again, this time, not ashamed or shy. I know he smiled when he heard me silently sniffing him.

"Have a good day onwards, Ms. Wilson. I know I will." And just like that, he is gone. The missing of his hands on me, making me feel cold.

The rest of the day, I couldn't focus properly. I could not stop thinking about Jack and when I got home, it was even worse. Mia immediately noticed something was up but gladly and surprisingly, she never asked or made any comments about my flustered self.

It wasn't until I woke up in the middle of the night when I found her in the kitchen, warming up milk in her cup which had 'you're an amazing wife and mother' printed on it. That was her gift for her fifteenth anniversary from Zach.

"You don't usually smile with a distant look in your eyes when you get from work. It's more like a cheery look with a grin." Mia commented, sipping on her warm milk. "Something happened with Jackson."

I decided to skip the subject, obviously still processing everything myself, yet not regretting it. "I am meeting dad for lunch today."

The glass slipped from her hand and fell against the tiled floor. The hot milk and small shards of glass splattered against my bare foot. I hissed out in pain and my jaw was clenched.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry!" She cried out and I shook my head, using a cloth to wipe away the milk on my feet and the small shards of glass resting on the floor. When everything was cleaned up, Mia looked at me, her eyes filled with unshed tears. "You cannot meet him, Lily. He will only ask for something that will ruin you. Please, understand."