❆Second Chance (10)

~J A C K S O N~

FRIDAY ARRIVED SOONER THAN I EXPECTED and I confidently walk up the snowy path towards the bookstore. My mind starts swarming with ideas for Theo this weekend. He is supposed to hang out with us and we all agreed on going tree hunting. For my house and my mom's as well, though we are going to have Christmas together.

Since Austin invited Lily to go with us, we agreed that Alex brings along Zeke and maybe Lily's sister. I don't know how big we are going to be tomorrow but I really want to see Lily happy, whether it be towards me or someone else.

When I enter the bookstore, it's packed and I mean packed. Linda rushes towards me, ushering me to help her serve all these customers. I don't think twice before rushing the to front, helping my customers. Though they don't look very impatient, I'm sure they are.

As I walk to the checkout, I hear people's conversations about their favourite books;

"Have you read 'The Duke and I' by Julia Quinn?"

"Outlander is the best romance book I've ever read!"

"I think Beach Read is better. Emily Henry's books are amazing!"

I grin, jumping up on the counter and diving my way through Amy and Lily who are having conversations with the customers while they checkout.

Once there are less people, Linda calls me to follow her. "James wants me to invite you for Christmas. Is it okay if you attend this year?"

I wince, "I was going to invite you again this year. I thought that maybe it would be amazing if Austin's parents came."

Her eyes light up at the mention of her old friends. Austin's parents and mine have been friends way before we were both born. Surprisingly, Austin was born a few hours after I was and since that day, we were inseparable.

Four years ago, they moved to Maryland, unfortunately, it was just when Austin got his degree and started his career. He couldn't just let it all go away, so he had to say goodbye.

"Never say goodbye to us, son. We will always be one phonecall away." His father said as he adopted him into a father and son hug. It was honestly amazing to see.

My parents and Austin's parents met Linda through her ex husband who was our high school teacher all throughout. They instantly got along and had so many get together's. They were like three pairs of peas in a pod.

"Oh well, that's good than!" She smiles but than it vanishes after a while. "But James wanted to host it at our home. . ."

I smirk. James is like a big brother to me. "I'll talk to him, don't tell him about this talk!"

I plop a kiss on her cheek and make my way to the office, while smiling at how far I've come with my dad's bookstore.

God, he would be so proud of me right now.

✎✎✎

Under a dove grey sky the colours of my world don their winter coats, each hue darker and richer than before. The path sparkles and crunches, like sugar underfoot, and the coolness brings me right into the now, into the moment of life.

Though the flowers sleep and the trees show their lofty arms once more, a smile plays on my cold lips. As much as I love the summertime, I love the winter too. Every perfume of the meadow, there is the earthy loam of the newly-lit forest floor.

There is a warmth that tumbles out in the winter time; when everything else is so cold. It pulls off from those who love and nurture as easily as they breathe. In truth, the sparks of warmth are always there no matter the season or weather, just like a warm rock blends into a summer beach, yet melts winter ice.