Chapter One

TWO YEARS AGO

     When I opened the door, standing before me and smiling was Aashiq. "Hey, Habibti!"

     My breath caught up in my throat. He was here. Aashiq. In my house. In reality. Not in my dreams but in reality.

     My hands began to shake and I couldn't speak. My mouth opened and closed on its own.

     "Aisha? Are you alright?" I could hear a voice ask from the background. It sounded just like my mum but was a little distant.

     I stared at the man in front of me. Or rather, the jinn in front of me. He was real.

     "Aisha?" he called out to me.

     My vision blurred and I collapsed on the floor with a loud thud. I could hear all the distant voices screaming for me to get up. I jerked up when I felt cold water splash onto my face.

I swallowed as my eyes locked with Aashiq's.

"M- mu- mum, A- Aashiq." I stuttered.

My mum looked at me in utter confusion. "Aashiq? This is Aman. Your soon-to-be husband."

I looked towards the man that was on his knees beside me. His brown eyes looked confused. Brown eyes? Aashiq had blue eyes. Also, the light freckles on his nose were a feature Aashiq lacked. His nose was quite bigger than Aashiq's and he had slightly darker lips than Aashiq. Ya Allah! I just embarrassed myself in front of my soon-to-be husband.

"You're Aman." I stated.

He nodded and gave me a small smile. "Aman Ubaid."

     "I'm sorry about what happened. I thought you were someone else." I apologized sheepishly.

     "It's fine."

My mum cleared her throat and motioned for the both of us to sit. We both sat on the same couch but maintained our distance.

"Aman dear, I'm sorry you had to meet Aisha this way. I promise she's not always like this." My mum apologized to Aman.

"What are you saying aunt? Please don't embarrass me by apologizing. It's fine, really." Aman answered. I didn't know if he was smiling because my gaze was lowered to the floor.

"Do you want to talk in private?" My dad asked him.

"If it's okay by you, uncle." Aman replied.

My parents both got up and went upstairs, leaving Aman and I alone in the living room.

"Hi." he said.

"Hi." I replied, playing with the hem of my hijab.

"You know you can look at me right?" he joked and I looked up at him.

"Sorry. I'm just not used to this." I said shyly.

"It's okay. Do you have any questions about me or you need me to do all the talking?"

"Please go ahead and tell me about yourself."

"As you already know, I'm Aman Ubaid. I'm twenty eight and I just rounded up my MBA at NYU. I run a business here in Buraydah but I plan on moving to Canada after we get married," he paused and looked at me. "If it's okay with you."

I nodded. I was tired of living in Buraydah and Canada wasn't a bad idea.

"Do you have plans to further your studies?" he asked me.

I wasn't sure about the answer he wanted to hear but I answered anyway. "I would've loved to go to Med school but I doubt it'll be possible now that I'm getting married."

Aman chuckled and it was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard. "Are you for real? Getting married to me doesn't mean you have to give up your dreams. I promise, immediately we get to Canada I'll get you forms for college and make sure you bag that degree. I wouldn't mind having a beautiful doctor as a wife."

I blushed furiously while staring at my nails and they suddenly looked very beautiful.

"Don't be shy, Aisha. You know what? I'll be honest with you. Initially, I didn't want to come here because I felt arranged marriages were outdated. But now that I'm here, I don't regret it one bit. We'll take things at your pace. If you want me to court you for a while before marriage, it's fine. If you want to drag me to the masjid tomorrow, I'm game."

Ya Allah! He talked a lot but I liked him already.

"So, tell me about yourself Aisha."

"Uh- I'm nineteen. I graduated high school just before my eighteenth birthday. Been home since then. I really want to be a gynecologist. It has always been my dream."

     "And now it has become my dream too. To see that you go through Med school and become the best doctor Canada has ever seen." Aman smiled encouragingly.

     I returned his smile and continued talking. "I'm sure you already know I'm an only child. It gets quite boring around here at times. I don't have a lot of hobbies. I read in most of my free time and look up new recipes to try on YouTube. Guess the newest addition to my culinary skills." I said the last part excitedly.

     "Biryani?" Aman guessed, chuckling a little.

     "Chicken tikka masala and naan." I answered.

     "I haven't tasted your food but I already know you're a great cook. Can't wait to eat food cooked by you for the rest of my life."

     I blushed again. "Just me? Do you plan on taking only me as your wife?" I asked jokingly, but deep down I was serious. I didn't like polygamy and Aman definitely was someone I wouldn't want to share.

     "I've never fancied the idea of marrying more than one woman. I want it to be just my wife, the kids and I."

     "Glad we're on the same page."

     "So Aisha, are you ready to get married in three months?" he asked.

     "You can take me with you right now, Aman."