Story Time

Lyric ate more than her fill of food this night and tried champagne for the first time at Kieran's insistence. The bubbles had tickled her nose and throat, making her giggle. Of course, she only took one drink. A lot of things could trigger a change. Alcohol, caffeine, over stimulation, strong emotions, and much to her chagrin: arousal. She had discovered the last one as a curious teenager; she had stolen one of Bryan's dirty magazines and as she had looked through it, her blood began pounding and her nails had erupted out of the tips of her fingers.

Kieran had more than his fair share of champagne and was quite tipsy about four hours into the party. He wasn't rude or mean, just extra affectionate, which made her uncomfortable just the same. After his last round of shots with Jett, she broke away with a lie about needing the bathroom. She went to the furthest and most quiet corner of the yard she could. She needed to breathe and try and relax. Her control was wanting to slip.

"Lyric," a voice said softly, making her jump, "are you all right?"

"Uh . . . Yes!" she replied. Mirabelle gave her a knowing look. "No. I got overwhelmed."

"Let's go inside and have a cup of tea away from the crowd," the Alpha-wife smiled.

"But the party," Lyric started to protest.

"Will survive without you," she laughed. "Now, come along. We can talk inside and take a breather. Maybe do a little talking just us girls."

Lyric nodded and silently followed the woman into the house and to the kitchen. At Mirabelle's insistence, she seated herself at the island and allowed the Alpha-wife to make the tea. She wasn't used to having someone else serve her, especially someone with higher standing than herself.

"Here," Mira said, placing a steaming mug of tea before her. "Now, aside from my son being borderline drunk as a skunk, what was so overwhelming?"

"Everything," she sighed, sipping the steamy drink. She hummed when she tasted berry flavor. "Everyone treating me like I'm something special. Having a rank for the first time in my life. Being treated like . . . An Alpha-mate." She was fighting tears. Years of being treated like garbage was not something to get over in the span of a night or two.

"Hmm," Mirabelle hummed. She took a drink of her own tea and set it down. "May I tell you something, just between us girls?"

"Of course."

"I was barely higher than an Omega when I was chosen as Maddox's mate." She said it in a matter of fact tone; as if it were no big deal.

"You were what!?" Lyric almost yelled in her surprise. "Then how did you--?"

"Jo saw something in me my own Pack mates missed," she laughed. It was a true belly laugh. She leaned across the island and stared into Lyric. "Fire and spirit. The ability to lead. The same exact things I saw in you the other night." She smiled and touched her fingertip to the tip of Lyric's nose. "The way you stood up to Liam. Yes, we all saw you, not just Kieran. You have fire, Lyric. Passion. Everything needed to lead a Pack of this size. Maybe even larger."

"No, I--," she started, tears running down her face.

"Yes, Lyric," she said in the most motherly tone Lyric could have handled. It reminded her of Lyla and she felt a stab of homesickness. "That's one of the reasons I chose you for my son. He needs a strong, fierce woman. He needs you. I don't know your back story, nor is it my place to ask for it, but I know what you contain deep in your heart."