Chapter Forty-Nine: Nightmare

Note: Hey! Sorry guys! I was having trouble with this particular chapter and didn't feel well the other day so it got posted late. Next chapter should be posted tomorrow as usual.

If there was one word to explain the look on Lady Laila's face; it would be animosity. However, she was extremely quick to put a bright smile on her face as I watched her closely.

"I was wondering if you needed to take a break, Your Majesty." She lightly bows towards Alaric, ignoring me all together.

"I am currently on my break." He responds, still not opening his eyes. I carefully kept my face passive as I picked up a scone and placed it against his lips, feeding him. 

Alaric was listening to my selfish request of not being close to Lady Laila. I had told him last night how uncomfortable it made me seeing her around him but I understood that he couldn't completely ignore her since she happens to be the only daughter of King Helyes of Crialor who sent her here as a form of his support.

During the year that Alaric had his memories taken, she had been trying to get closer to him and it became more apparent once he became Emperor. But with King Helyes's backing, it made the other countries have no choice but to accept their new Emperor.

Of course he made it quite clear that he had no interest in her at all, even during the time of his memory of me gone. But now since we have declared our feelings for each other, I had no intention of allowing anyone else try to get closer to him.

"Maybe taking a walk around that garden might clear your mind." Lady Laila pressed still smiling. "I can have tea set up so that you can enjoy the outdoors."

"I appreciate the offer Lady Laila." Alaric sat up and looked at her as her cheeks turned pink as she stared at his handsome face. 

I frowned a little as a sharp pain pricked at my heart at her expression and found myself leaning into him. The feeling disappeared as he kissed my head at my action and I noticed Lady Laila clenching her hand behind the folds of her dress.

"But I will have to decline." Alaric barely glances at her before heading back to his desk.

::::::::

"Are you trying to be hated?" I ask Alaric as the sun started to set. Lady Laila had left after his dismissal and did not appear at supper, claiming to be feeling unwell.

Afterwards, Alaric still had to complete a few left over documents so I had followed him back to his office and was currently standing next to the window which was cracked open to let in a breeze.

"It's not like I want to be hated." Alaric sighs. "But I want to make sure to shut her down from getting any ideas."

"Hmm." I return my attention back to the outdoors, closing my eyes briefly while I enjoyed the breeze. "It might be better to tell her out right."

"Why?"

"Sometimes people won't understand another person's feelings unless they tell them. Of course there are people who don't care if it inconveniences the person but most would back off." I say as something black catches my attention from the corner of my eye, but when I looked closer- I didn't see anything.

"So it's better to tell them point-blank and if they continue, then you can just ignore them." I finished talking turning to smile at him as Alaric watches me.

"I see." He pulls me into his embrace. "I did notice however that you seemed to be a bit jealous again."

 He chuckles as I looked away as my cheeks heated up.