Sartaaj-٢

" You did what?" A loud voice screeched from the other end.

Baasit moved the phone's speaker away from his ears, protecting it from possible damage and waited for a few seconds before putting it back on and answering his question.

" And you want me to do what now!" The voice exclaimed yet again.

" It's my fault that I called YOU of all people but right now you're my safest bet and I'm willing to ignore this blatant disregard for your status in my life" Baasit whisper yelled in the phone, only to hear a snort from the other end.

" You may be my Boss but I will not stand by and watch you play with lives like this" he had to put the speaker away from his ears yet again due to the increased tempo.

" You're really testing my patience Huzaifaa!" Baasit warned him.

" With excellent reasons, BOSS!" Huzaifaa emphasized on the last word, as was his habit when he wanted to irk him.

" Will you or will you not come here? I really have no other choice right now" Baasit sighed in defeat as he sat down on the bed with a thud.

" I'm coming and don't you dare cause anymore wreckage while you're at it. There's only so much damage control I'm capable of" Huzaifaa warned his employer before hanging up on him.

And yet again Baasit was stupefied about his job profile!

Baasit sat silently in that room for the better part of an hour when he heard whimpers coming from the room upstairs. The room where his wife was sleeping. He immediately sprang up and skipped two stairs at once to reach her faster.

" Arjuman?" Was the only thing he could say when he saw her.

His beautiful little wife was sitting upright in the bed with her hair in a disarray, her face marred with dried tear streaks and her eyes swollen up due to all the crying she has been doing since the last two days.

Baasit felt the growing need to protect her as he looked at her. The huge quilt had swallowed her fragile form whole and she looked at him as if he was the answer to all her troubles. As if he was capable of setting everything straight!

" Baasit?" She whispered helplessly and he found his heart going out to her.

" My sweet little Baby" he rushed to her when she raised her arms as if asking him to cradle her.

Just like a child does when they want to be picked up.

" It's alright darling, everything is going to be fine. I promise I'll set it right" he whispered softly against her hair as she snuggled in his arms, her tears wetting his shirt yet again.

" Why does Allah take away everyone I have? First my parents and now my Dadajaan. Ab main kya karungi? Mera toh koi bhi nahi hain iss duniya mein" she weeped loudly as he rocked their bodies back and forth.

" Aur main kaun hoon? Am I nothing to you?" Baasit cupped her face lovingly and looked deep in her blue eyes.

The blue eyes that have been holding him captive since the last fifteen years!

" Aap hi toh hain. Ek bass aap hi toh hain mere liye" she said in a wobbly voice and threw her arms around his neck, sobbing again.

" Arjuman, Meri Jaan itna rou toh nahi. Mera dil baith jaata hain tumhe yun dekh kar" he murmured in her hair and kissed it repeatedly as he held her close.

" You want to eat something?" Baasit asked her after a while as he caressed her back softly, still rocking themselves.

" Saath chalna hain?" He asked her again when she nodded her head positively the first time.