Sartaaj-۳

" Aren't you a little Princess!" Arjuman cooed at the almost one year old baby girl who was perched in her arms.

" Kogya kogya kogya!" Darejaan squealed in response.

" Yes you are!" She threw her head back and laughed when she did that.

The little girl could only speak a few choice words but she wanted to talk about everything!

" You're a natural with babies" Dur Afshaan praised the girl who was playing with her daughter.

" I've always loved children and the fact that I was an only child, made me crave for them even more" Arjuman smiled at Dur Afshaan, swaying the baby around lightly.

" You'll make an amazing mother" Aadab piped in as she fed her son, not missing the blush that spread on the young girl's face.

Arjuman felt her skin burning with the intense red hue that spread all the way to her ears as she imagined her children.

Her children with Baasit.

" In Sha Allah" she mumbled under her breath and hid her face behind Darejaan as she fed her the mashed potatoes and carrots.

" Arjuman..."

They heard Aamna's voice call her out from the kitchen and Arjuman immediately handed over Darejaan to Dur Afshaan and rushed inside to see what she needed.

" Beta taste this" Aamna placed a spoon to her lips as soon as she neared her.

" What's thi...uhmmmm" Arjuman moaned at the sudden burst of flavor assaulting her palate and she instinctively closed her eyes at that.

" Besan ke ladoo" Arjuman peeped inside the wok where Aamna was roasting the rich, sugary and dry fruits laden yellow concoction.

" Baasit aur Saafir ko bohot pasand hain. Aur ab toh Darejaan bhi apne Chachu jaise meetha pasand karnein lagi hain toh isliye socha ladoo bana hi leti hoon" Aamna removed the wok from the heat and switched off the flame before adding even more cashews in it.

" Itne saare kaaju?" Arjuman popped one in her mouth when Aamna offered her a handful of dry fruits.

" Mahad aur unke Baba ke liye" Aamna answered with a smile as she spread the batter in a tray to air out.

" Aur Shaaf Bhai?" Arjuman questioned again while taking out another tray to spread the batter evenly.

They will only roll out the ladoos when it has cooled down enough.

" Shaaf aur Zartaaj zyaada meetha pasand nahi kartein hain par Jahaangir aur bachhon ke liye bhijwa dena hain maine unke Baba ke haathon" Aamna said conversationally as she placed the used kadhayi under the running water in the sink.

" Mujhe ghee ki har ek cheez achhi lagti hain" Arjuman told her absentmindedly, moving to wash the used utensils.

" I know Beta, Baasit ne batayaa hume" Aamna smiled at her but then immediately frowned seeing what she was doing.

" Main mulazma se keh dungi, aap nahi dhoyein yeh" Aamna scolded the girl who looked back sheepishly at her.

" Par Aunty..." Arjuman began to protest but was cut off by the older woman.

" Bilkul nahi. You're not here to work. You're a part of our family, just like a daughter to me and I don't make my daughters work." Aamna handed over a towel to wipe her hands on as she pulled her away from the sink.

" Can I make ladoos with you then?" She made a puppy face and grinned when Aamna scowled playfully at her.

" Yes" Aamna patted her cheeks lovingly and made space for her to stand at the counter.