𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏. fights

chapter seven.
fights.

...

The next day, I'm sat awkwardly between Cory and Riz during science, my body being the only thing delegating them from one another. Usually we would placed in pairs for the lesson but there are too many students in our class so unfortunately we've been forced to be in threes with whoever we're closest to. Cory hates the idea, but it's compulsory.

Riz leans forward to look around me at Cory, "How does a lad like you get a girl like her?" He asks, his gaze flicking to me momentarily so he can smirk at me.

"Shut your mouth, Nawaz." Cory snarls.

"I'm just saying," Riz sucks his teeth, "Peyton, you're confident, fit—"

"Shut the fuck up." Cory growls through gritted teeth, "If you say one more thing about her, I swear to god."

"Will both of you shut the fuck up?" I roll my eyes, "Believe it or not I am actually trying to do the work." I tap my pen on the large sheet of paper shared between us, my handwriting being the only thing littering it, "I'd love it if you both would help.0

After sending one last glare to each other, the boys move in closer to read my writing before we all try to figure out what else we're supposed to be doing. We fall into silence.

"Rugby practice tonight," Cory says, resting his hand on my thigh under the table.

"I'm just gonna leave." I mutter.

"No, you are not," He argues, "If I have to do it, so do you."

I look over at him, "But-"

"But nothing. You are going."

__

After school, I get changed into my PE kit in the empty girls changing rooms while all the boys mess around in theirs, the shouts vibrating the walls and I'm extremely thankful I'm not with them.

Meeting the boys in the hallway, I walk out onto the pitch next to Cory and Dan while Mr Bell stands on the field with his hands on his hips and the equipment laid at his ankles.

"Nice to see that you actually showed up." Mr Bell chuckles at me, "I had my doubts."

"I didn't want to but Cory made me," I inform him, "I'm sure you would've been really sad if I didn't show up."

"I would've been," He nods, "I think you're gonna be a good asset to the team. You're gonna show this lot how it's done."

I sigh, "I've never played rugby before."

He waves me off before motioning for the team to surround him and we all huddle round. Cory throws his arm over my shoulders as we watch Mr Bell and wait for him to begin.

"Okay, you are just going to do some simple passing," He motions towards the pitch, "Get into lines and pass."

"Simple he says." I grumble.

He throws a ball into my chest and I as I catch it. He smirks, clapping his head together, "Chop chop."

Following the boy's lead, I try my hardest to do everything correctly. I surprisingly only drop the ball on the very first drill, but never after that. A short whistle causes everyone to stop and tune our attention back to the teachers.

"Cory and Riz pick a team and we'll get a game going." Mr Simpson declares.

Cory and Riz stand in front of the team and begin calling our names until eventually everyone is stood in two lines, it's obvious who's team is whose but I stand between, not knowing where to go as my name was never said.