26 : Over-Thinker

"Peyton!" Miss Carter shouts from down the hall, making me turn to her, "Follow me."

I run up to her side to walk with her, "Where we going?"

"Well, Miss Keane isn't at school today so I'm helping with the play. I also believe that you're helping with it too."

I groan, "I was hoping you had forgotten about that."

"I'm teacher and we remember everything."

I push the drama door open to the classroom to hear Chloe speaking to the class.

"My mum's quit the play so there isn't going to be a show." She says sadly, flopping her arms to her sides.

"Not if we've got anything to do with it." Miss Carter smiles as we walk in.

"Peyton!" Nas and Missy squeal and I walk over to them, leaning on the table between them.

"Right, who's going to bring me up to speed?" Miss Carter asks, moving closer to us all.

None of the girls say anything, just look in the opposite direction to her.

"Anyone?" She glances at me, "Do you know, Peyton?"

I hold my arms up in a surrender, "I'll be honest, I haven't been paying attention so I have no clue."

"It's dress rehearsal, Miss." Hayley tells her, while putting in some earrings.

"Yeah, I can see that, Hayley." Miss Carter chuckles, "What I mean is, do you all know what you're doing?"

Once again the class is silent  and I can't help but laugh at everyone's clueless' faces.

"I've got my work cut out here." Miss mumbles, looking at the book in her hand.

"It's not our fault, Miss." Candice speaks up, slightly annoyed, "Shakespeare's dead boring."

Miss clicks her tongue, "Aw, well, it's just as well he's got you to bring his words to life, isn't it, Candice? Finish with your wigs and make up and stuff and I'll see you on stage in ten minutes."

Miss Bird waltzes in, passing a bunch of flowers to Hayley before storming off again.

I raise an eyebrow, "They from Riz?"

"Yeah. Says he's sorry." She smiles gently, looking at the paper note connected to the bouquet.

Miss Carter leaves while Missy walks over to her sister, snatching the bite away from her to look at it.

"One poxy bunch of flowers. Is that all it takes?" She scoffs.

"Well, I love him, so..." Hayley shrugs, glaring up at Missy.

"After everything he's done?!"

"He said sorry, didn't he?"

"So what happened when he does it again? Cos he will, you know!" Missy snaps, raising her voice.

"I'm sick of you telling me what to do. Just stay out of my business." Hayley rises from her seat.

"Ugh. You two deserve each other." Missy stomps back over to her seat, snatching her bag and coat off it before running out.

Nas and I look at each other, the same look of confusion on our faces.

"I think we should just leave her." Nas says gently, "She'll hate us for bothering her."