Chapter 4 - New Friend

The next day I left my cell to explore the castle. I was hoping to learn my way around. After wandering for a while, I came across a caged beast. I gasp.

Y/N: "Is that a dragon?!"

Quilly: "Hey, princess!"

I turned.

Y/N: "Oh, hello."

Quilly: "What are you doing out of your cell?"

Y/N: "Exploring."

I turned back to the dragon.

Y/N: "Why is he in a cage?"

Quilly: "That's Sand Dragon. He's been a little cranky lately so you should probably stay away."

I took a few steps closer.

Quilly: "What did I just say?!"

Y/N: "I have a way with animals. I'm a princess after all."

Quilly: "This isn't like a squirrel or a bluebird, he's a dragon! Princess, please back away before-"

Y/N: "It's okay, it's okay... sshhh..."

I made it to the bars, sand dragon still growling at me. I slowly raised my hand.

Quilly: "Princess, bringing you back to life is easy. But getting your arm back, not so much!"

I ignored his warning and continued to try and calm the beast. Soon, to both our amazement, the dragon touched his nose to my hand.

Quilly: "No way..."

Y/N: "There we go, who's a good boy. You are, that's right."

I laughed as he licked me through the bars with his huge tongue.

Y/N: "Aw... you're just a big softie, aren't you?"

He let out a happy grumble.

Y/N: "Hey, Quilly! He likes me! Huh, where'd he go? Oh well. I guess I can pull these out now."

I took out my key and tried it on the cage.

Y/T: 'It worked? Do these open every cell in the castle?...... cool.'

I walked in and greeted my new friend properly.

Y/N: "Hi there, big boy. I'm Princess Y/N Merrispark. What's your name?"

He let out a small roar.

Y/N: "Uhm... I'm gonna call you Sandy."

Meanwhile...

Quilly: "Demon King!!"

Demon King: "What is it, Quilly?"

Quilly: "It's the princess."

Demon King: "She escape again?"

Quilly: "Well, yes. But there's more... she's befriended the Sand Dragon!"

He stood up abruptly.

Demon King: "She WHAT?!"

The two of them ran back to the dragon's cage. By the time they got there, Sandy and I had fallen asleep together. They both sighed.

Demon King: "How did this happen?"

Quilly: "Sand dragon is supposed to go out to fight the hero. Do you think she's trying to convince him to go easy on him?"

Demon King: "Has the hero already become so important to her? Quilly, can you go find Big Big and tell him I've decided to send out the sand dragon tomorrow?"

Quilly: "Yes, sire."

Quilly left and the Demon King came in and carefully pulled me out from under Sandy's wing. He picked me up and carried me back to my cell. He gently put me on my bed and pulled the blanket over me. He had a little trouble taking his eyes off me.

Demon King: "Hero face... I'll destroy him."

He left.