part 6

___________

Shuichi flopped down onto his bed. It was 1am. The silence seemed loud as he groaned into the pillow.

He had failed to unmask the thief.

Dammit.

He turned over and started closing his eyes, and he started go get enveloped in sleep.

______________

The bell rang out, signalling the end of the school day.

Shuichi got out of his desk and started walking towards the door.

That lunchtime he had a similar encounter with Kokichi. Although this time he wasn't coming round to Shuichis dorm because Shuichi needed to rest so he could unmask the thief this time.

Hopefully.

Sighing, Shuichi unlocked his dorm room and immediately fell onto his bed. He brang the covers over his head.

He needed a plan. He needed to unmask the thief. But he couldn't think of one. He was lost.

What kind of detective am I?? I can't even unmask the thief...

Shuichi suddenly missed Kokichi. Kokichi was a good distraction... and he felt less empty when he was around.

Wait what...?

Shuichi sighed and rolled over. Why was he thinking about Kokichi??

Kokichi was annoying, he was a liar and he hardly helped.

That's not true. Not at all.

That's right. Kokichi encouraged Shuichi to take down the thief.

He told Shuichi he could do it.

He filled Shuichi with hope.

And he tried his best to help.

At least that's what it seemed like.

Shuichi sighed. He shook his head, closing his eyes, trying to shake of the thought of Kokichi.

_____

After dreaming of nothing, Shuichi woke up in his bed, curled up.

10pm.

Shuichi nodded. This time. He could do it this time.

He opened the door and ran away into the night, looking for his uncles car.

He kept his head up through the car. He had hope. He needed to unmask the thief.

As his uncle drove him to the skyscraper where D.I.C.E. were seen, Shuichi thought about Kokichi again.

You can do it Saihara!! Next time!!!

Kokichis voice ran out in his head. That voice. It was so familiar...