12

The halls were loud on Monday.

And, like they usually were after a weekend with a big party, they were filled with the gossip of what happened when everyone was drunk.

There was lots to gossip about this Monday. Carter's party had a huge turn out, and like most teenagers do when there's no parental supervision, they partied hard.

And I had a front row seat to all of it, I think I was the least drunk there. At some point in the night, I made a mental note to never step foot in Carter's hot tub, if I ever went to that lake house again, because of the amount of fooling around that occurred in there.

Seren and the football player, who I discovered from the whispers was named Cole, were only one of the many couples that stuck their tongues down each other's throats in the rectangular box.

Cain had gotten progressively drunk, and progressively angry as the night went on. He went as far as shoving Cole when he walked by him and Seren. Thankfully, it didn't go any further than that.

When we woke up in the morning, me on one couch and Cain on the couch beside me, he seemed to instantly forget all his feelings from the night before. I wasn't sure what made that possible, whether it was the hangover or the embarrassment.

"So, this weekend was like a movie, right?" Jax announced to the table, a goofy smirk on his face as he looked around at his friends.

Cain only grimaced in response, shaking his head at the ground. Noah and Olivia were too busy whispering into each other's ears to notice anyone else. Trinity nodded in agreement, and Tyler and Benji both fist bumped him.

I wanted to say, if it was movie, it would have gone straight to DVD, but I kept my mouth shut instead.

And I wasn't the only one, Seren didn't say anything either. She was doing what she usually did at lunch time, listening to everyone else speak with that far away look in her eyes. Every other moment, she looked down at the time on her phone and then looked to her purse beside her.

I knew what she was doing, she was waiting until it was an appropriate time for her to leave the table and have a cigarette. It's the same thing she does every lunch.

"What did you think, Zane?" Jax asked me, causing me to rip my eyes away from Seren.

When I caught Jax's eye, he raised his eyebrows, a knowing look in his eyes like he had caught me red handed.

"It was your first time at the lake house after all," he continued, his lip curling into an even larger smirk.

"Yeah," I muttered, refraining from rolling my eyes. "It was cool. Carter is lucky to have a place like that."

"What, Mr. Mercedes, you're telling us your parents don't have a vacation house somewhere?" Trinity asked me, smiling playfully.

I shrugged, not wanting to tell her the truth. They did, but I didn't know why that was relevant. I was saved from answering, however, by a nudge in the ribs from Cain.

I looked towards him, wondering why he did that. Cain only titled his head to the other end of the table, where Seren was, and I instantly had my answer.

Cole and Carter were making their way over, and I momentarily noticed how similar they looked. They were both wearing their letterman jackets, and they both had perfectly styled blonde hair. They both had their eyes trained on Seren. Their expressions though, they looked wildly different.