fifty-nine

"Hey, Dyl?" Luke's voice wakes me from a sleep I hadn't even realized I'd fallen into.

Turning over and pushing hair from my eyes, I meet his gaze with a soft smile of my own. For a second, his eyes flicker down to my lips.

Resisting the urge to kiss him, I reply groggily, "Yes?"

"I'm sorry to do this, but you gotta move so I can change these sheets." His expression is sheepish, a boyish hint of pink against the tan of his cheeks.

"The sheets?" My brows pull together. His blush deepens and I follow his gaze until I see the sticky, dried, white spot on the bed. "Oh, shit!" I smack my forehead, a million thoughts racing through my brain. "We didn't use a condom."

Luke's head cocks to the side, a smirk over his lips. "You caught me off guard, I'll admit." He swallows, staring back at the stain. "But I had it covered, you were just too distracted to notice."

How did I not notice? I guess I was a little preoccupied. A blissful moment of obliviousness.

Heat rises in my cheeks at the mere thought of my orgasm.

It's been awhile since I've been with Luke. When we were younger, he was confident in the way only a teenage boy can be. It was enjoyable, much better than how Brynn described losing her virginity.

But it was nothing like this. My eyes trail Luke's body, his hard abdomen, chiseled chest... sculpted shoulders. All man.

"Dylan?"

Luke's voice interrupts my thoughts and I realize I'm practically biting my bottom lip off.

"Um, yeah." I murmur, awkwardly sliding out of the bed and feeling very bare without the cover of the sheets. Covering up with my hands seems equally as silly, given the situation.

"Here," He rescues me, tossing me a t-shirt from his dresser, and I quickly pull it over my head as he strips the mattress of any evidence.

I sniff at the shirt discreetly, inhaling the Luke smell, my mind suddenly buzzing.

He makes me reckless - I mean, fucking without a condom isn't normally my move. And I never would've thought I'd be here with Luke again, of all people.

My belly does a hard flip-flop and I'm worried I might be sick.

"You're sure..." My voice trails off, embarrassment choking off the rest.

"Dylan, trust me." Luke shakes his head, voice calm as he meets my eyes, "I love Finn more than anything but I am not ready to be dealing with a kid 24/7. I was careful, I promise."

"Okay." I whisper, feeling strange watching him. Being here. Having done what we did. Having napped in his bed. I pivot away from him, needing just a moment to breathe.

My phone vibrates on the nightstand but when I see MOM flash across the screen, I quickly press ignore and set my sights elsewhere.

My eyes land on the far wall of the studio, the one completely plastered in photos. Approaching slowly, I focus on the newer ones, ones of Finn and Luke, Luke and Laura, a few of the family golden retriever they got that summer.

As I get closer, I hold my breath, knowing the other pictures by heart already.

They're of the summers we spent together. The same ones we all had copies of. Some of the best times that I can remember are documented here, in these photos.

Casey's face stares back in nearly every one.

It's like a punch in the gut; the brilliance of his smile is too full of life for me to believe he is really gone. He was never supposed to be gone.