thirteen

Finn, Olivia, and Jade crowd around me, sharp elbows and knees jabbing into the softest parts of my belly and legs as they scramble to fit onto my lap. Annie is at the front of the circle, an old copy of a Dr. Seuss book in her hands as she waits for everyone to quiet down. I glare at her little reading stool, feeling the pressure in my knees as Olivia pushes off of them to get more comfortable herself.

Jade's wild curls tickle my nose as I try to tuck her head beneath my chin. She wiggles free again, leaning back against my shoulder, eyelids already fluttering.

Jade is one of the kids who always needs naptime. Finn can go all day, no tantrums, even without a nap. But Jade? No way.

The other kids sit quietly, criss-cross-apple sauce on the rug, eyes focused on Annie and the story about to be told. A flurry of movement beside me catches my attention.

"Jacob," I reach up to grab one of the rowdier toddlers just before he runs off to dismantle our block tower again. His dark eyes, the same color as his deep skin, crinkle in the corners deviously. "Jacob, we're reading a story now." I warn him with my eyes and my tone.

He looks from the block tower and back at me, carefully assessing the mess of toddlers in my lap. Twisting just slightly, he slips from my grip on his little arm and charges at the blocks, sending them all over the floor in a loud tumble.

I close my eyes and inhale deeply, counting to five before I remove the other kids from my lap. Standing slowly, legs already tingly from the weight, I see Jacob now thrashing through the blocks, scattering them around the room.

"Jacob." I say sternly, kneeling to the little boy's level. "Was that a nice thing to do?"

Staring at me with wide, innocent eyes, Jacob shrugs.

"I think you know it wasn't." I place a hand on his shoulder. "What should we do when it's story time?"

Jacob points a little finger at the rug, decorated with little bumblebees to mark each child's spot on the floor. "Sit still." He whispers.

"Right," I nod my head at him and then at Annie to let her know I can handle it.

She begins to read to the other kids and Finn waves me over. "Miss Dylan, you're missing it."

"I'll be there in a minute, buddy." I promise, turning back to Jacob and the blocks on the floor. "Why don't we get these cleaned up first, okay?"

Jacob nods, his face softer and less mischievous now. Sort of falling over onto his backside, Jacob begins clumsily placing the blocks into the toy chest one by one. Proud of my quick diffusing of the situation, I join him in putting away the toys, a small, victorious grin on my face.

Annie looks from her phone back to Finn, who is happily pretending to read on the rug.

"Second day in a row," She grumbles, eyeing the child as if it's somehow his fault.

"You can go." I say defensively, already walking over to Finn. "I'll stay."

"I'd stay, I just have, ya know-" Annie scrambles, not even bothering to finish her sentence as she collects all of her things.

"It's fine." I shrug, tucking Finn against my side and eyeing the colorful illustrations on the page. "Cat in the Hat? That's a good choice, Finn." Looking up at Annie, I offer a small wave as she passes through the doorway. "Have a good weekend."

He nods, pointing a chubby finger at Thing One. "That is Uncle Luke." I chuckle, making note to tell Luke what his nephew thinks of him - crazy blue hair, cat-like face and all. Finn continues, turning the page and showing me Thing Two. "And that's me."

My laughter stops, my chest immediately warming at the sweet boy.

"Hey, speaking of Uncle Luke," I shift to grab my cell from my back pocket. "Why don't we call him, hm?"

Finn nods excitedly, watching me intently as I dial Luke's number.

"Hello?" Luke answers on the third ring, sounding out of breath.

"Luke, it's me." I feel the blush creep into my cheeks. "It's Dylan, I mean."

"Dylan? Is everything okay?" Panicked now. "Is Finn alright?"

"Everything is fine." I calm his nerves quickly. "It's just that Finn hasn't been picked up yet, I think it's -"

"His Dad's day." Luke sighs, finishing my thought, sounding more exasperated than before. But somehow not surprised. "Yeah. Figures. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

With that, Luke hangs up and I smile down at Finn, still focused on me.

"Is Uncle Luke coming?" Finn asks, voice small.

I nod my head and he breaks out into a large smile, kicking his feet as he goes back to explaining the illustrations to me.

Thanks for reading love! So it's the weekend, Dylan still has no social outing planned for Grams conditions, annnnd Uncle Luke is picking Finn up?What could this mean

What could this mean.... winkwink