Chapter 19

"Ok, everyone," Peppy announced, walking over to the group of kids sitting by the fire.

     Poppy and Branch turned from where they sat at the lake, listening to Peppy speak.

     "Let's all get a good nights sleep," he continued. "We'll be heading back to Troll Village in the morning."
"Awww..." the trolls awed in sadness. They were really enjoying their time in the Enchanted Forest.

     "Finally..." Branch sighed in relief, happy to be leaving this awful place. That feeling still lingered in the pit of his stomach. The feeling that something bad was going to happen. The sooner they left... the better...

     All the Troll Village trolls started heading over to tents the Enchanted Forest trolls had set up for them, as Branch rose to his feet, reaching his hand out to help Poppy up.

     Poppy smiled at him, excepting his help, as she too rose to her feet with a slight yawn.

     "I'll walk you to your tent," Branch told her with a smile.
"I'd like that..." Poppy replied, smiling back at him.

     They both headed away from the pond, the water watching them leave, seeming sad about Branch's departure, as if it knew something he didn't...

—————

     "Good night, Poppy," Branch said, as they arrived at the tent the young troll would be sleeping in for the night. "Good night, Branch," Poppy said, hugging him tight. "I'll see you in the morning.

—————

     Off in the forest, Chief Tula watched the two trolls, as they separated, Poppy heading into her tent, as Branch walked back towards the pond.

     "Hmm..." Tula mumbled to herself, turning to walk deeper into the forest.

—————

     Branch walked back to the pond, sighing as he looked into the water, his reflection looking back up at him.

     Slowly, the water formed into it's snake-like self, looking at Branch, as if it could sense his sadness... his confusion... his heartbreak...

     "You know..." he said softly, sitting down, as he placed his feet into the cold water of the pond. "Ever since my grandma died... I've just wanted to be alone."

The water looked at the little grey troll, as he spoke to it, listening closely to every word.

"But... when I'm with Poppy..." he continued. "I don't know... I... I just feel like I actually belong... that I could be happy..."

He smiled slightly, looking at the water snake.

"But..." he sighed, lowering his head, as his ears drooped down in sadness. "I'm scared... I'm scared of losing her just like I lost my mom... my dad... and... and my..." He closed his eyes starting to cry, as he struggled to say that one little word. "My... my grandma..."

The water made a slight noise, nudging Branch gently, trying to comfort the young troll.

"It's all my fault..." he whispered. "I'm... I'm alone... and it's all my fault..."

Slowly, Branch stood, wiping the tears from his eyes as he sniffled slightly.

"I... I think I just need to go for a walk..." he told the water.

The water nodded, transforming back into a dog, as it hopped out of the pond to follow Branch into the forest.

"Alone..." he said, glancing down at it. "I need to go for a walk alone..."

He walked away, the water watching him go in sadness, as it sat down in the grass, whimpering softly.