Chapter Three

"Where the hell did everybody go?" Raven looked confused as he sat down at the bar's table

"Where the hell did everybody go?" Raven looked confused as he sat down at the bar's table. "I mean, I know where Laurel and Briar went, but Clarissa left, too?"

"She said she was leaving because Briar left," I answered. "Sorry that it's just me."

"You don't have to be sorry about that." He smiled. "Honestly, I like that it's just you. Makes me feel like I'm finally off the clock."

"Yeah, I imagine being a wedding planner is a 24/7 kind of thing..." I let my words trail off as I spared a look over at Raven.

I felt my heart skip a beat in my chest when I realized that he was staring back at me, too.

"So, what do you do?" he asked as he scooted his chair a bit closer to mine.

"I... what? Sorry, what were we talking about?"

I'd been too distracted by Raven moving his chair over a few inches to catch the context of his question, and now I was probably coming off as an inattentive asshole.

What was going on with me tonight?

"For work? What do you do?" he asked again. "Does it feel like a 24/7 kind of thing?"

"Sometimes, but not really," I admitted. "I'm a remote manager of a small sales team."

"Oh. You're in sales?" Raven hummed. "That's kind of funny. You don't really seem like the type."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I laughed. "Is it because I don't have horns coming out of my forehead?"

He laughed, too. "Hey, I never said salespeople were evil. Now, managers on the other hand..."

"I'll have you know that I've been a manager for years and haven't had to call on Satan for help. Not even once." I grinned. "No, but I really do enjoy my job. I didn't think I would but turns out, it's miles better than the alternative."

"You mean the alternative of being unemployed?"

"Sure. Yeah," I lied.

I just didn't feel like bringing up the family business right now. The Easton's Exchange had been in my family for generations, evolving from an original network mostly made of farmers to a network now made almost exclusively of rich people in expensive suits and with even more expensive assets.

I was set to inherit the whole thing, which would've made me a multi-millionaire in the blink of an eye. My father had offered to turn the reins over even earlier, trusting me with the business as soon as I graduated from college.

His only requirement?

I needed to get married first.

And not just married to anyone. I needed to marry Irene Marseille, heiress to our company's fiercest competitor. Her father and my father thought the union would lead to a failsafe merger between the families, which would eventually lead to an even more important merger between the companies themselves.