Chapter Seventeen

I didn't want to be here

I really didn't want to be here.

And yet, here I was, sitting in the middle of a strip club, surrounded by guys who were wolf-whistling at women scantily clad in dancewear. This place felt like the exact opposite of literally anywhere I'd enjoy being, and a part of me thought about dashing through the front door whenever another group of guys walked in.

But I couldn't leave, because I'd promised Clarissa that I'd stay at this bachelor party for at least an hour or two. She'd told me that she wanted me to get to know Trent better, even though I suspected that what she really wanted me to do was spy on her husband-to-be, making sure he didn't partake in anything too shady before their big day.

Sky was here, too, hanging out with Eddie somewhere to my left. It was hard to see them through the darkness of the club, though, so while I was able to hear their voices and laughs, I wasn't able to make out any facial expressions.

"Would you like a dance, sweetheart?" A dancer in a neon green bra, complete with a neon green thong stood right in front of me.

"Uh, no thanks," I replied as I fished for a twenty-dollar bill. I handed it over to the dancer and nodded. "But thank you for the offer?"

"Aw, thanks, baby." She smiled down at me and stuffed the bill into her bra. "You look a little down. Did your girlfriend break up with you or something?" She paused before she corrected herself. "Sorry. Not girlfriend. Boyfriend, right?"

"I don't have a boyfriend," I answered.

"I know, sweetie. I'm saying that's the problem." She chuckled a little and then went on. "Did you want to talk about it?"

"Would that be a good idea?" I asked. "I mean, wouldn't you rather spend your time on the other guys?"

"Fuck no. The rest of these guys are creeps." She scoffed. "My favorite kind of clientele are gay guys who come in here for... let me guess... a bachelor party?"

"Is there another way to leave the club? Without being seen?" I whispered. "Please, please, tell me there's a way out."

"Sorry, baby. The only way out is through the front door." She sighed. "Unless you get hired on as a dancer, then you could use the back entrance that all the girls use."

"How long do you think it would take for me to get hired on as a dancer?"

"Raven! Get your ass over here!" Eddie shouted. "We're about to do body shots!"

"Save me," I mouthed to the dancer.

"I'm sorry," she mouthed back, giving me an empathetic pat on the shoulder.

I stood up from my seat and headed over to where Eddie, Sky, and Trent were.

"Raven! Thanks for finally joining us in the V.I.P." Eddie smirked. "You done asking that girl for her number?"