Chapter Nine

*mature content ahead*

"Wow. This is a really nice rental," Raven remarked as he stepped through the door. "I haven't been to a place this nice since Laurel got us some comped rooms in Vegas."

"Comped rooms in Vegas? How'd he swing that?" I was trying to make conversation as I followed Raven into the apartment.

"Just Laurel being Laurel," he said with a smile. "He's always been good when it comes to that sort of thing. Getting backstage at concerts. Hanging out in VIP lounges on opening nights at different clubs. Getting rooms comped."

"Sounds like an interesting guy," I said, closing the door behind me.

Raven seemed to jump a little from the noise, but quickly returned to normal. "He is pretty interesting. You'd like him."

As Raven spoke, he folded his arms in front of him, his eyes conspicuously scanning around the room.

He was nervous, wasn't he?

I didn't know why I hadn't considered that he would've ever been the nervous one. It wasn't like he hadn't hooked up with guys before, so maybe I'd just figured that this was going to be par for the course for him.

But instead of being a steamy, burst-through-the-front-door-and-make-out hookup session, things between Raven and I were starting to feel more like an awkward end to a prom night date.

"Do you want a drink?" I asked, already walking toward the fridge in my kitchen. "I have straight vodka, and I have some pre-mixed margaritas."

"I'll take a pre-mixed marg, please," he answered. "The sweeter, the better."

I sucked in a deep breath as I pulled two drinks out of the fridge, pausing for a brief moment to collect myself.

I headed back toward Raven and offered him one of the bottles. "Here."

"Thanks." His face was stoic as he took the drink from me.

After a few seconds or so, he eventually opened the bottle and swallowed a huge sip.

I quietly watched his mouth the whole time, wondering what it would feel like to press my lips against his.

When he brought the drink down to rest against his side, I decided that I was done wondering when it came to him.

I took a step forward, pulling Raven into my embrace, kissing him, softly and slowly. He seemed to appreciate the gesture, his low moan registering as a tremble against my lips. Feeling emboldened by his response, I decided to push my tongue against his, wanting our mouths to connect on a much deeper level.