The Family She Wished She Had

To run a top media outlet in NYC, you need brilliant planning and organisation. Skills, that I possessed. Social media was just taking off when my company thrived, and I, being a wise intellectual, knew it was a permanent shift in the industry. Through the power of social media, I built a large magazine and blog centered on fashion, well-being, and lifestyle. Our magazine's popularity wasn't limited to the US; even in Europe, designers and celebrities were eager to contribute and feature in our publication.

As my audience grew, so did my acquisitions in other companies. I slowly invested my profits in other upcoming companies and supported them, helping them grow and succeed in their own market. I had my fingers dipped in every pot you can imagine. Many people made accusations and stated that I had got my wealth illegally, but I always released my tax forms to the public for evidence. I would have no one to smear my name again. I shake my head from bitter memories of the past, refusing to think about the trauma that people I loved and cared for had caused. Today was not the day to think about the past, though. I had fish to fry.

I made my way into the elevator in the home building. It was private and guarded. No one had access to it but myself and select few. Even then, they needed my permission and a new code to enter. I stared into the mirror, which was decorated around the elevator. I wore my signature black Louboutin, a black pencil skirt with an emerald silk blouse. My red hair was curled to perfection, which hung down my back as I held a black clutch. Donatella always designed and organised my outfits. She always ensured I looked my best.

I shook by head, coming out of my own thoughts as the elevator pinged, and I head reached the lobby. The regular staff members were in attendance. The building manager, James, was waiting in the same station as each morning. I had no time for him, despite his persistence. He was rude and arrogant and I always saw him speak to the staff like he was god's gift. I would always scoff at his behaviour and ignore him as I spoke with Samuel, the doorman. Samuel was a kind man in his sixties. His face was riddled with wrinkles and his eyebrows were white and bushy. He was kind and warm and he was always what I wished for in a father.

I approached the door, once again ignoring James' attempts to start small talk. He was blabbering about the weather. "Good morning Samuel." I smiled.

"Good morning Miss Romano." He said with the biggest grin on his face. His teeth were a little crooked, but his smile was warm and one that I looked forward to each day.

"How many times must I ask you to call me Loretta?" I chuckled, knowing we would have the same conversation every day.

"Till the day of my retirement, young miss." He nodded his head. I could feel his submission arise, which I did not like. I could sense James' seething eyes on me as I spoke to his staff, but not him.

"How are the grandkids, Samuel?" I asked.

"They are good. They are visiting this weekend. My wife is excited, but my daughter's husband is still ill." He replied solemnly.

"Still no improvement?"

"No, the cancer still appears to be spreading. They are moving him to the city's main hospital tomorrow and my daughter is going to spend her time with him while we take care of the children."

The sadness on his face was clear. The love for his family was apparent. He was a good man with a good heart who wanted what was best for his children. He is what every father should be like.

"I'm sorry to hear. If you need anything, Samuel, all you need to do is ask." I whispered and rubbed his forearm soothingly, wanting to offer him some comfort.

"Thank you, dear, but you know I wouldn't ask that of you." He replied. He was such a proud man, not wanting the help that his family clearly needed. I couldn't let him work himself to the bone to help pay for the medical bills.

"Well, if you change your mind, you know where I am." I smiled wistfully. He opened the door and nodded his head as I exited the lobby and entered the streets of Manhattan.

The streets were busy. People were hustling their way through, knocking past each other without a care in the world. The streets bustled with people hustling their way through, knocking past each other without a care in the world. As I made my way to the car, he nodded his head and wished me good morning as he opened the door.

I quickly slid into my car and made a quick phone call to Roger.

"Roger, speaking." A husky voice peaked through my ear.

"Roger, it's Romano here."

"Ah, Miss Romano, are you calling about Unity?" He asked.

"No Roger. I want to help my doorman's daughter and her husband with their medical bills for cancer treatment. Can you make it happen?" I asked in a quiet tone. A slight tremor of fear ran down my spine. It scared me that anyone could hear what I was saying.

"Of course, Loretta, I'll ensure it's done by the end of the day." His tone was warm and I could feel his smile through the phone. He was one of the few people I trusted with my secrets and one of them being that I had a heart. "Such a big heart you have."

"Shut up, Roger." I murmured, knowing he won't let it go soon. He loved teasing me and as much as I hated it, he was the best at managing my affairs, albeit personal or professional.

I heard his bellowed laughter echo through the phone. The sound was harmonious and I could tell from the acoustics he was in the office. I always had such a keen sense of hearing. "Do you ever leave your office Roger?" Hoping to change the subject.

"Now why would I do that, Loretta? You give me so much work to do and you have fitted my office to my desires. It is nicer than my apartment." He retorted. I smiled at his joke. His dedication to work was unwavering, always putting in extra hours.

"I am glad that my friend is satisfied," I chuckled in response.

"Friend? I think you are getting sentimental in your old age, Loretta."

"Shut up, I'm only 26," I replied in frustration.

"Yet you act 46." He teased.

"Anyway Roger, what do you have on Unity? Benjamin said they limited it and there is something fishy about the company. I have this weird third sense." I said.

"Well, he's right. Not a lot, but my spies are searching. They seem very recluse as a company and the CEO is unknown. Only those in the higher ranks know his identity and they all seem tight lipped." Roger replied.

"Interesting. Well, I moved the meeting to 8 am. Hoping to get them to show their hand sooner and when I get some names and faces, I will contact you. Hopefully, I will know what they are after when we have this meeting."

"Very well, be safe." Roger hung up.

I pushed my head back into the seat in the car and closed my eyes. I don't know why I felt so on edge. My anxiety was building, and I hadn't felt like this for years. My heart was pounding. I tried to dismiss it, but no matter what I did, it wouldn't go away.

I thought about what was different this morning and all I could think is about Samual's family. The thought of family caused an emptiness to echo through my body. It was something that despite my years of saying that I did not need it, all I could do was wish that I had it. I wish I had the relationship with my family that Samual did with his.

Thoughts of my family were something that I had spent many years trying to forget. I had perfected it in the last three years and had given up hope on a reunion. Despite my success, they would never recognise me, they would never try to find me. They hated me. I smiled at the love that Samuel had for his daughter and the willingness to do whatever he could to make his daughter happy. Even if it meant sacrificing his own health. I sighed wistfully, wishing that someone loved me that much.

A small tear leaked out of my eye as the car pulled to a stop. I shook my head and took a deep breath. There was no time for feeling sorry for myself. It was time for the heartless Queen of New York City to make her appearance.

Game time.

Edited 05/08/2023