Chapter 25

Jayden's question was ignored; dad stared at his plate, and mom at Mrs. Prickett, who couldn't seem to take her eyes off her wine glass. I suddenly was very aware in the absence of Hampton's hand on my leg. 

Grandma rose to her feet, her hands firmly on the table for stability. She stared at Annie and her mother, her usually cheerful face robbed by a look of stone. "I think it's time you two leave." Annie's face was the brightest I'd ever seen it; her eyes were red, threatening angry and embarrassed tears at any moment. 

"I'm so sorry," Annie gushed to my parents, looking between the two of them. "I was so stupid. I don't know why I did it."

"Sweetie," Grandma said in the most patronizing voice ever. "I don't think apologies are going to work at this point."  

"Don't speak to my daughter like that," Mrs. Prickett said, and my mouth dropped. No one ever spoke to Grandma like that. 

"When I said it was time to leave," she started, "it wasn't a suggestion. Leave this house. You're not welcome here." 

Mrs. Prickett grabbed her daughter's arm, and my mom interrupted their leaving. 

"How could you do that to us?" 

All our attention turned to the principle of Royal high, who met eyes with mom. A brief guilty look passed her face, but she remained her composure and put on a fake face - just like she did everyday. "It would've looked worse if the truth came out after everything," she said. "I had my job to think about. Annie's future. It would have caused more pain to everyone." It was silent in the room. Even Jayden didn't make a peep. 

"The girls are graduating in a few months. What difference does it make? Life moves on." 

Jess actually laughed out loud, her familiar chuckle lacking any note of humor. The atmosphere was cut into pieces. I attempted to glare at Jess, but even I couldn't blame her. What inspirational poster did the principle steal that one from?

"Are you out of your mind?" Mom stood from her seat, her tear-stained cheeks dried, and replaced with a new side of anger I'd never seen from her. A momma-bear anger, protecting her cub. 

"Annie, we're leaving," she turned with her hand on her daughter's shoulder blade, ushering her towards the door. A growing static sound filled my ears; I could feel the over-stimulation in my body, and I resisted the coping urge to crawl into bed and cover myself with the covers. 

Hampton leaned into my ear. "Let's get out here." I nodded without thinking, the sound of his voice pulling me back to reality. He mentioned the getaway plan to Jess, who nodded and started to join us. Hampton said something to my dad, probably asking if he could take us. Assuming the answer was yes, please, we continued to the front door without any interruption. 

What I needed most was fresh air. Maybe a visit to the ducks. They always made me feel better. Hampton held onto my hand, the steady pressure suggesting he had no means of dropping it. I started to ask Hampton if we could go there, but stopped once the door opened. 

Beside me, he turned into a wall. I felt his once lucid body turn rigid and frozen. Peering at his face, it was a look I'd never seen. It was a mask of twisted surprise and. . .fear? His nostrils flared, hand falling from the hold on my hand. I studied the man; he was a bit taller than my dad, about 6'1, with a thin body and a tattoo that wrapped around his exposed right bicep. A ill-fitting red collard T-shirt hung from his bony frame, clinging to his collarbones. His eyes, brilliantly blue, accented a mess of dirty-blond hair, which contrasted against his dark sprinkle of stubble. Apart from the stubble, he looked shockingly familiar. 

"What the hell?" Hampton shifted next to me. I eyed his hands, which balled into fists so tight his knuckles turned white. 

"Hampton," the man grinned, holding out his arms. "Long-time-no-see." Jess and I exchanged a look, confused. 

"Hampton," Mrs. Prescott's voice came from the dining room. It had the same warning tone my dad had moments early with the Does, but it had a hint of shock to it. 

"I came to your house first, but you weren't there so I asked a neighbor. They said you were celebrating Thanksgiving at a friends, and then gave me this address." 

"Hampton," I murmured, tugging the sleeve of his shirt. What was going on? Slowly, Hampton looked down at me. 

"It's my dad," he said. 

"Your dad?" I repeated, it sounding as if the idea of Hampton having a father never once my mind. I wanted to scold myself for being so stupid; of course he did.  But still - he'd never said a word to me about him. 

"His dad," the man - Hampton's dad -  emphasised, holding out his arms. "Give me a hug, kid." Hampton stood still beside me, not crossing the space between them. 

"Asher," Mrs. Prescott suddenly appeared beside me, crossing her arms and peeking over her shoulder at the dining room table. Her voice lowered. "What are you doing here?" 

"I've come to celebrate Thanksgiving!" Asher grinned. "I thought I'd come surprise my family." 

"I think you should go," Hampton said, firm. 

Asher's smile slipped. "C'mon, Hamp. I thought you'd be more excited to see me." Jess tugged at my arm, whispering in my ear, "This seems personal. Should we go to your room?" The last place I wanted to be right then was my room. 

"Let's take this outside," Mrs. Prescott said, turning to Hampton. "We should go home, now. Get your brother." 

"You're not inviting me inside?" Asher ignored her, peering past us to look inside the house. "Lincoln's been feeding me crap food for the past six months. The other inmates and I have been dreaming of Thanksgiving mashed potatoes." Inmates? 

"Asher, please," she said, sounding urgent that time and moving to join her husband outside.  The door clicked shut. Without a question, Hampton walked into the dining room and leaned down to Jayden. I watched him say something to him, Jayden nodding as his big brother put an arm around his shoulders. Hampton shook my dad's hand, seeming apologetic. By the time he made his rounds with my family, he reached Jess and I at the door. 

"I'm really sorry for all of this," he said, avoiding my gaze. 

I took his hand, closing the gap between us. "Are you okay?" 

Hampton glanced at Jayden, who had already pulled out his phone and was tapping away. "I guess."

Yelling started to rise outside the door, and Hampton looked sharply away from me with a hardened gaze. 

"I have to go," he said, reaching for the knob of the door. "Thank you for inviting us." He didn't wait for my response, and I watched Royal High's celebrity open and shut the door in my face. I'd always assumed Hampton was this perfect, New York City hottie, who's family moved to a tiny town to get a new start on life. But was I wrong? 

Jess joined me at my side, sipping on a new glass of champagne. "What's he hiding?"