Twenty Nine

I stare at the clear fluid inside the IV bag, following the liquid as it enters my bloodstream. A sigh escapes my lips as my head falls back into the pillow reluctantly. Despite the room being dark with the blinds pulled shut, there was enough light in the room for me to see the IV bag glinting as small rays of sunlight peeked through the blinds.

After returning from travelling in time via the quantum realm, Natasha insisted I receive medical treatment. I mean, fair enough, considering I felt as if my body was being torn apart. The physical pain wasn't bad, but the memories that came with the pain were worse and hurt far more than the electric currents that were convulsing into my main body from my metal limbs. The pain reminded me of HYDRA. It reminded me of everything they did to me.

Upon my return, and telling them it had worked, mostly, I had fallen silent. The last three days, I hadn't spoken to or seen anyone. I didn't want to see anyone. I didn't want to talk. I just wanted to be alone. Everyone respected my wishes, but I knew that they didn't understand why. None of them knew the horrors I had endured in my time in HYDRA. I knew they couldn't understand how the physical pain brought back memories.

Travelling back in time and seeing Bucky didn't help. It had been five years. Seeing him had unlocked a vault of memories I hadn't realised I had locked up until all I could see were the images flashing through my brain, searing themselves so I could never forget. All I wanted was for it to stop, but it didn't. It never did.

With another reluctant sigh, I prop myself up on my elbows, slowly pushing myself into a sitting position. I knew there was little point in me sitting here, hiding away and sulking. I shuffled around, so my feet hung off the bed. I sat like that for a few minutes before ripping out the IV line and jumping off the bed. I shuffle across the room, pulling open the door, bathing the darkened room with unnatural light. I squint, waiting for my eyes to adjust to the harsh lighting, before making my way down the hallway.

I make way to the office, where I find Natasha and Tony lying on the table, Bruce on the floor, all surrounded by a mess of paper. A hologram of a green stone hangs suspended in the air. None of them has noticed my presence.

"Guys, if you pick the right year, there are three stones in New York," Natasha says, causing Bruce to sit up in shock.

"Shut the front door. Oh, hey Posie. You're up?"

"Yep." I shove my hands in my pocket as Tony and Natasha sit up too. "What you guys up to?"

"Well now that the time machine works, we have to figure out which time periods to go back to."

"Oh that sounds boring if I'm honest."

Tony chuckles, hoping of the desk, knocking paper everywhere. He glances down at the ground as the paper drifts downwards, "whoops. Come Posie." He walks out of the room, and I glance at Natasha, who nods her head, encouraging me to go after him.

I follow him down the corridor, waiting for him to say something. Instead, he leads me into the central atrium, where the time machine sits. He walks over to the control panel, and I stare at him, confused.

"You won't be coming with us to collect the stones..."

"Because of my limbs?"

"Yes. So you'll be here making sure it goes well and operating the machine. It's easy enough, and you won't have to do much. Just press these buttons and push that lever." He looks at me, and I give him a small smile, telling him I understand. "I also wanted to give you this." From the side of the control panel, he pulls out a briefcase I hadn't noticed. He grins, unlatching it and opening it to reveal and nicely folded suit. He holds the briefcase while my hands outstretch, removing the outfit from the case. It hangs loosely in my hand. "I heard from Steve that your last one got ruined, and I thought you might like another one."