Epilogue

One Year Later

"You're pulling your punches!"

"I don't want to hurt him though."

"Yes, but if you only know how you pull your punches, rather than follow through then you won't be very prepared if you find yourself unfavourable circumstances."

The two training soldiers roll away from each other, pushing themselves to their feet, arms held in front of them as they brace for a second collision. The girl steps forward, her arm shooting out, colliding with his lower jaw. It was an obvious move that anyone should see coming, but as he stumbled back in surprise, she moved forward, tucking her foot behind his ankle and sending him to the ground. He tries to roll away, but she clambers on top of him, one foot pinning down his right arm, the other leg digging into his back. Using as much force and strength as she could muster, she pressed his head to the ground.

Three taps later, the pair stand up, the boy congratulating the girl by ruffling her hair, much to her dismay. They join the line, and I step forward, "alright. That's enough for today, you all got a spar. You can go rest up or choose to keep practicing. It's up to you. Remember tomorrow is the competition. I want all of you to bring you A-game, even if I won't be there to watch. Dismissed."

Some of the group walk off to the changing rooms while some stay behind, partnering up to practice sparring. Craig steps forward and gives me a toothy grin, and I do my best to not roll my eyes at his eagerness, "thanks for the help in training today Posie. I think you taught them quite a bit. You're not staying for the comp tomorrow?"

"No. I have to get back to Queens. Some of those kids are going to get hurt if they keep fighting the way they are, you need to train them better. Thank God I'm here saving their asses." Craig's smile drops, and his eyes go hard, but before he could retaliate, I walk off, leaving the army training compound to go back to Queens.

The flight back was quick yet dull, but I relished in the silence and time alone. It wasn't often I got to have time to myself these days. The last year had been turbulent, to say the least. One minute I thought I was doing well in my 'recovery,' the next, I'm grinding my teeth, doing all I can to not break someone's head in. But all in all, I'm not wallowing in self-pity anymore, not like a year ago.

A lot has happened too. Sam and Bucky stopped some rebel organisation called the Flag Smashers. Our new Captain America called John Walker didn't last long as he was stripped of all his titles after murdering someone with the shield. Sam ended up becoming the new Captain America, which was quite nice. I hadn't spoken to either of them recently, so I had no clue what they were up to now. Peter went on a trip to Europe too, which he was so excited for, and could never contain his excitement. It was all he could talk about, and so Aunt May and I relished in the quiet until he returned home. Turns out he was attacked by some dude named Mysterio. After finding out, I was furious, to say the least, but he came back mostly unscathed and told me he was fine. He was lying; no surprises there.

As for me, I was still going to mandatory therapy sessions with Dean, hence my return back to Queens. They were less frequent, and I didn't have to see him once a week anymore. Whenever I was back in the apartment, I grew very bored as there wasn't much to do. I enjoyed going to the US Army base camp to help with training. It was fun, and I got on well with the recruits. I wasn't patient or kind like Craig thought I would be, but harsh... well firm. Yet, it got through the message, and the recruits were improving quickly. I became pretty fond of them, and the idea they would move on soon was disheartening in some ways, but I was hoping to get called back to help with the training the next lot. Perhaps next time, I can stay on site more frequently.

The next day I find myself sitting on the familiar blue couch, waiting for Dean to enter the room. He was late, which was odd, considering he was always early. Or perhaps I was just overly early, I don't know. I sat there, my fingers tapping rapidly against my legs. I often wore long pants and long sleeves to hide the metal appendages from full view, but I was beginning to regret the decision as the room grew warm. The lack of air conditioning and open windows wasn't helping either.