Chapter Twenty

~♤Masons PoV♤~

I think our little playdate with Jack and Elise was one of the best things to happen to Ace. He's been a lot more relaxed and happy, asking about littles and cgl a lot. It was cute seeing him get excited about something for once.

Ace was on his phone laying on the couch. I didn't think anything of it but he started giggling and he never does that.

"What are you up to Ace? You're not texting Brandon again are you?" I asked warily.

"What? No!" He sat up, "I'm texting Jack!" Ace grinned.

A few days after our meetup, Ace kept nagging me about Jack's phone number and eventually I gave up and gave it to him. The look on his face was priceless, okay?

"What are you talking about?"

"Stuff." He snickered. That didn't make me worried at all. I assumed he was in little space by the weird giggly mood he was in. It was cute. "Okay so we're planning something, but nothing bad." Ace added.

"Is that something that would take up today?" I got up and sat on the back of the couch, "because if not I was thinking we could go out in a bit."

His face lit up, "where?"

"Anywhere you want." I laughed and ruffled his hair. Ace held Bean and started listing activities to do. He suddenly jumped up from the couch and went to his room. A few minutes passed before he popped his head out and called me over.

"What is it?"

"If we're gonna go out I want to look good, but look." Ace opened his closet. "Do you see this?"

I gave him a confused look and he frowned, "it's all black. I don't wanna wear black clothes, they're... bleh." I was surprised at that. Obviously Ace and little Ace would have different styles but seeing him say he didn't want to wear black was still a little shocking considering what an edgy, emo brat he is. This opened a new door of possibilities and chances for Ace, in and out of little space, to get more comfortable with it.

"Hey, why don't we fix that today! We can go out and get you some new clothes that you like, how about that?" I offered happily. He smiled and nodded. I thought he'd like that idea.

We got ready to leave and set off. Ace had to dress in his other clothes until we got the ones he liked which didn't make him very happy, but the hopes of getting out of the bleh clothes soon made him forget about it. There was a nice shop nearby so we decided to go there.

"What sort of thing do you have in mind Ace?"

He stood there and thought about it for a while then said, "frogs. I like frogs." I'm not sure why Ace likes frogs, but I think it's cute. It is adorable seeing his whole face light up when he sees a frog plush or shirt design he likes. "And for colors?"

"Blue or purple or yellow or green or..." he trailed off.

"Any colors?" Ace nodded again happily. I've seen those looks he gives me when he's thinking something like how can he be so happy? But if he could see himself now I'm sure he'd be surprised.

He wandered in front of me, glancing around the racks. I stopped to look at these pale blue pants with little dinosaurs on the pockets, but when I turned back I didn't see Ace. I looked around the rings of clothes but didn't see him anywhere. It was at that moment I was worried.

"Ace?" I called in a hushed tone. My mind started going through all the situations that could happen or that may have already happened. And, to be honest, none of them helped me not panic. I paced around the rows for a solid 5 minutes before finally seeing him.

"Ace!! Why did you wander off? You worried me!" Ace seemed to not realize what I was saying and instead said, "Mason, look." He held up a pastel yellow shirt with a cartoon frog on it.

"That's cute but did you hear what I said? You can't wander off without saying anything, okay? It's not safe."

He stared at me with a weird expression for a few seconds, then looked away. He fidgeted with his hands and mumbled, "I'm sorry. I won't do it again." The guilty look on his face worried me even more.

"It's alright Ace, just stay with me and tell me if you're going to go somewhere. Does that sound okay?" He nodded.

"Um... can we uh, can we just go back?" Ace asked.

"Of course."

We ended up getting the shirt, which made Ace happy, but he said he wanted to come back some time and look a bit more. Though it might not have been the most successful day, I'm glad we could get out and do something. We got back to the house and surprisingly, Ace fell asleep on the way back. I managed to get him inside and into his room which was good. Humans are heavy no matter how much they weigh, okay? And I'm not that strong.

I thought about Ace's reaction to what I said earlier and it kind of striked me as odd. Of course every child (mentally included) reacts to situations differently, but Ace just accepted it with barely any fuss. From what I've seen of the usual Ace, I honestly would have expected more drama, but maybe little Ace is just more calm. Either way I'm excited to learn more about him and I hope we'll connect more soon.
♡~♡~♡~♡~♡