Sixteen.

_________________________

It was Kate's favorite time of year, Christmas. No matter how bad things had gotten, or how down she'd felt in her old life; Christmas would always boost her spirit, the twinkling lights and tinsel everywhere, the music that played in every store and the trees that covered every window. The whole season lit Kate's heart up with joy.

"So, how are things going with you and Buck?" Molly asked

They were still keeping things quiet - or trying to but being in the honeymoon phase it was hard to keep up the facade of just friends at work.

Kates face lit up at the question, "great, he's amazing - I mean I knew that already but he's more amazing now"

"Aw, your so cute" molly pouted,

"Shut up" Kate rolled her eyes,

"Honey, where's my sui-..

"I'm on the phone with your sister, hold on" Molly Quickly hushed her husband "sorry, he's going down the country for work"

"At Christmas, god this Christmas is Turning out to be great"

"Are you okay, I know Christmas can be hard especially the first" Molly asked, not wanting to push

"It hasn't really hit me yet, I don't even know how I'm suppose to feel" she admitted

"I don't think anyone knows how to feel, but you're strong and If you need anything just call. I don't care about the time difference"

"I love you molls, I'm so glad you married my brother" Kate smiled, it was a thing between them. Kate was never mad at their relationship, even when she first found out; she was ecstatic

"Me too kate, me too" Molly returned "alright, I better go help him. Love ya!"

Kate closed her laptop, she opened the desk drawer and took out the small Polaroid. She stared down at the picture, a small tear fell from her eye. Even if Christmas cured some of her unmentioned sadness, it still didn't cover everything. The season brought memories that she'd sometimes wish to forget.

She folded up the Picture and hid it away, she dabbed some concealer around her eyes and took in a small breath. When she left her room, she was met the smell of breakfast wafting about her apartment. Kate reached the kitchen and seen two plates sat down on the table, a coffee beside each one and a small jug of water in between the plates.

Kate gasped quietly "what's all this?"

"It's a breakfast date, we don't have a lot of free time to go on real dates so this is the next best thing"

Kates heart melted, Buck had only seemed to grow more charming by the second, or she just chose to notice it more. she walked over to the table and took a seat, the food smelt amazing and the coffee smelt even better.