Chapter 7

Martin Square
Shrewsbury, England
The Duke's 30th Birthday

Four days after the most unusual encounter with the Duke, Georgia found herself holding what seemed to be an invitation stamped and sealed from the Duke of Richmond

Four days after the most unusual encounter with the Duke, Georgia found herself holding what seemed to be an invitation stamped and sealed from the Duke of Richmond. Lady Willoughby and Katherine waited eagerly in anticipation as Georgia's small white hands broke the clasp folding the letter upwards.

"Pray do read what is says." Katherine urged impatiently.

Dear Willoughby Family,

You have been invited to Martin Square in two days where the annual Shrewsbury town's fair will be held in the honor of the returning Duke of Richmond's thirtieth birthday.

"Well, surely he did not jest Lady Aunt and cousin. It seems we are invited to a party." Georgia said with a blink looking up from the letter.

"Or fair rather." Katherine added acerbically.

"Well, Georgia we must attend for your sake. The Duke is a charming man although a bit aged but still rather healthy I suppose, tell Barkley that we will be in attendance and to make all the arrangements, oh and Georgia should we fetch the modiste?"

"Non-sense mother Georgia has all the latest collections, and if she wants something a little more... well, I have a few things in my wardrobe as well. Just wait until I'm done with you." Katherine said ending her sentence with a wicked mischievous grin. Georgia didn't have a clue what Katherine was up to the only thing she did know is that there was no way out of it.

"But..." Georgia tried but was cut off by Lady Willoughby.

"Swimmingly Katherine." Lady Willoughby grinned widely showing all the wrinkles and creases embedded in her slightly sun blotched skin before placing her coffee and newspaper down on the silver tray and getting up to leave. "It is time for me to take my morning walk, oh Harold! Please fetch Ms. St Glain and have Luella join me."

Until three nights ago Georgia wouldn't probably feel somewhere in between petrified, to jubilant, then ultimately discomposed. That night with the Duke in the meadow replayed through Georgia's mind over and over the way the tides continue to rush to the shore each time seeping deeply into the sandy beach embedding all its watery bits in every crack and crevasse underneath. Although she could barely see him through the dim moon-lit sky she could still make out the faintest lines of his jaw and that piercingly fiery cold gaze from those pale blue eyes, and oh his words. He surely couldn't have meant what he said, but Georgia wanted to believe that he very well did.

So, when the next day came Katherine made herself busy with the task of beautifying Georgia, which of course she was most grateful for. At some point it is every woman's or girl's dream to be pampered into prettiness, yes? Katherine knew that other women would most likely be throwing themselves at a very single and eligible duke, so she got to work immediately.