Chapter 16

Heywood Manor
Shrewsbury, England
Lord and Lady Willoughby's drawing room

The carriage ride lasted for a smooth half an hour bringing Georgia and Luella back to the fine comforts of Heywood Manor

The carriage ride lasted for a smooth half an hour bringing Georgia and Luella back to the fine comforts of Heywood Manor. Luella, who took most of that time to nap in her loving mother's arms and lap, and her mother, who could not sleep, not even a wink, spent most of that time to think about what it would be like if she were to leave those fine comforts. Looking down at her daughter's smoothly rounded cheeks and chubby dimpled hands how could she ever be okay with sharing the only thing in this world that was truly precious to her. It was only by a miracle that she had Luella and she was even more grateful that she was not an heir but just a girl. Her girl.

It wouldn't be right of her to keep Luella away from her father's well-bred origins. In the end her daughter deserved to know at least that much about the man that had birthed her, even if the man was an imposter. Was she really considering all this? Traveling to London would be like returning to that deathbed of a marriage and all the scandalous scrutiny behind it. The thought made her stomach tense terribly.

She made a promise to herself long ago to never look back. There was nothing there for her, but perhaps a second chance for her daughter. Would it be worth it? Georgia found herself in contemplation of two things she'd never thought she would ever have to worry about again. One, somehow there was another man who seemingly infiltrated himself into her life. Two, she would be returning to London.

After a warm summer bath with local herbs and her favorite jasmine soap, Georgia felt almost ready. Ready enough to face whatever was up ahead that is. Susan helped Georgia out of her bath and did her best work with dressing Georgia into a beautiful gold silken made evening gown. Royal blue ruffled fabric outlined the arms of her sleeves and the curve of her lovely bosom with a matching ribbon fashioned underneath at her midsection. Her hair was some dark curls pinned to the back of her head making her look more elegant and poised. Overall the look was beautifully satisfying with one final look in the glass.

Supper was in an hour or so, as she finally stepped out her chambers to enter the drawing room where her aunt and uncle sat with Katherine. They all too looked dressed for the occasion similar to herself, but she noticed they all looked rather bored.

"Good evening, Lord and Lady uncle and aunt as well as you too, Katherine." Georgia said taking her curtsy before proceeding any further.

"Good evening, I trust your trip to Lady Hackett's was most satisfactory, my dear?" Lady Willoughby said as Katherine and her husband started to indulge into a conversation of their own after saying their polite greetings.

"It was quite refreshing... as will be my return to London."

The entire room fell drop dead silent.