Chapter 9 - The Ghost of Doxford

"What do we do?" Jason hissed.

Leus took to the situation more calmly, noting the singular door that was the only exit.

"There is no way," He concluded, "There is only one exit and they are blocking it. Perhaps it might be in our best interests to go along with them for a while - assuming they correctly identify us, of course."

As if he'd called them over, one of the guards pointed to their table and approached. They were quickly identified and escorted to the town jail - a small, run-down building on the outskirts of the town with only a few damp cells that were seldom used. They were bundled into one cell and the door was shut with a clang.

"Well, great," Jason sighed and said scathingly, "Now they've us locked up perfectly to take us back to Throeyns castle - some great plan, Lord Leus!"

I swear to Pelos, this foolish idea was bound to fail, He thought bitterly, After all, in the end he's just another of the pathetic noble stock. Still, we're sure to be executed if we're sent back to Lord Rowan.

He put on a smile and apologized, "I'm sorry about my outburst - I just feel a bit frustrated," He explained, "Everything we've done will be for nothing if we're sent back now. We need a plan."

Lirya nodded enthusiastically and Leus frowned, deep in his thoughts.

He looked up and said, "For our current predicament, there really isn't much we can do. However, if they plan to load us up somewhere, we will most certainly find the situation more favorable to make a move."

"But we need a goal - some idea beyond mindlessly fleeing the reach of Lord Throeyns," Leus continued, "As of now, the best solution would be to leave Sanobar until the situation calms down."

Lirya sprang up, conflicting feelings dancing in her eyes, "But Sanobar is our home!"

Leus nodded and stopped further protests by continuing, "I know. But as things stand, we will be on the run forever. Lord Throeyns has tremendous influence within Sanobar. Our best chance is to wait it out. My suggestion is that we head to Silvardor and ask the elves for shelter for a few years."

"Elves?!" Lirya cried, her voice laced with contempt, "They'd sooner turn us out for the sake of saving their own kin! Did you not learn of the atrocities they committed during the Demon War when they turned their backs on our suffering to save themselves?!"

Jason nodded, but Leus frowned, asking, "Where did you hear that?"

Lirya glared at him, "It's common knowledge! Didn't you learn that during your history classes?"

Jason added, "They really are scum! My father told me that he had heard that my real father was killed by an elven patrol!"

"I suspect your information, at least yours, Lirya, may be a bit... exaggerated," Leus said carefully, "Recent chronicles detail that elves and humans live in relative harmony. No attacks have been made since the Demon War."

"Why the elves?" Jason asked sullenly, "Couldn't we ask the dwarves?"

Leus shook his head, "They've closed their borders off to outsiders - apparently there is a succession issue and they don't want anyone to meddle. Rumor has it that their crown prince ran off after stealing a precious artifact of some sort..."

"Have you finished conversing yet?" A soft voice interjected and a lantern swung into view, illuminating a pale face covered by a hooded cloak.

Jason sprang to his feet and questioned the stranger's motives in approaching them and who the stranger was.